Hey there. Have you heard the one about Isla Vista and how we annually consume 1 percent of the nation’s alcohol? Ha ha – insert laugh here. I am sure that we have all heard this rumor. But how many people believed it? I am sure that at least some of us have at least wondered.

After all, how many times have you been strolling through I.V., or cruising DP and watched a helpless drunken fool stumble around in a state of utter intoxication? Lots? Has it ever seemed like everywhere you went there was an abundance of drunks tossing back enough alcohol to make you ponder how much alcohol we do consume?

Well, I am here to help you out and straighten some things out. First of all – no, no, no and no we do NOT consume 1 percent of the nation’s alcohol. Think about it. There are tens of millions of people in the U.S. There are less than 20,000 UCSB students and not all of them even live in I.V. We couldn’t even store 1 percent of the nation’s alcohol in the square mile we call I.V.

Sometimes it can seem like everyone around you is drinking and making bad choices, but that is only because those people call attention to themselves. At the end of the night, you will remember the silly drunken girl dancing on a table and the big drunken guy peeing on a building, and you might even remember the drunken guy throwing up. They seem pretty damn common. We remember the unusual.

We do not remember all the moderate drinkers we pass who are out drinking responsibly and having a good time. If you are not convinced of this, consider these stats: 19 percent of UCSB students (that is over 4,000 people for you mathematically challenged) who seldom if ever drink, 58 percent drink zero, one, two, three or four drinks in a full week, and many other students are making healthy and responsible decisions regarding their drinking behaviors.

Actually, UCSB students are making healthy choices about drug use also. Consider this: 57 percent of UCSB students have never even tried tobacco, 46.7 percent have never used marijuana and 92.7 percent have never used cocaine. Oh, and for those of you who think it is normal to get baked all the time: Only 6.7 percent of UCSB students use marijuana once a week or more. If this does not surprise you, that is awesome! If this surprises you, maybe you should look at the behavior choices that you and your friends are making. If you would like more information, or free help regarding drug and alcohol use, contact Student Health Service at 893-2263.

All stats are based on the latest Core Alcohol & Drug Survey.

JAMIE BOOMER