The three candidates for Associated Students external vice president for statewide affairs began the first round of their debates like every other candidate group – they agreed with each other.

Jonathan Kalinski, Isabel Millan and Beth Van Dyke answered audience questions and talked about their agendas, agreeing with each other on the importance of limiting student fees and making sure funds are properly allocated. The external vice-president for statewide affairs serves as the A.S. representative for the University of California Student Association (UCSA) Board of Directors and as the representative and liaison for A.S. in all state, federal and UC system business.

The most significant difference between the candidates was in their delivery of party platforms. The three are similarly experienced, but in different areas of A.S. Millan said her work with the A.S. Women’s Commission, Queer Commission, and Student Commission on Racial Equality (S.C.O.R.E.), along with her networking and lobby work with state representatives gives her the experience for the position.

Kalinski said his work on the legislative council qualifies him for the position. “I have worked to make the leg-council more inclusive, less cliquish,” he said.

Van Dyke said she gained experience working with the A.S. Queer Commission and learned how student fees are invested and how to bring money back into the system.

Responding to an argument over whether or not the leg-council is too influenced by left-leaning politics, Van Dyke said that diversity on the council is important.

“Parts [of the leg council] are left-leaning and some of the Gauchoholics are moderate, and some are right, like Jon Kalinski. Both left and right voices are important,” Van Dyke said. “I am not far right or far left. Vote for me because I can compromise.”

Answering the question of what issues the candidates would bring to the meetings, the three agreed that the most important issues were education and how money is spent.

“Everything at this position is education,” Kalinski said. “Every student should have resources and opportunity.”

“My concern is keeping money in the educational system, keeping fees low, and making sure there is equal opportunity,” Van Dyke said.

Millan said she was committed to lobbying against tuition increases and making sure there was a hate crime officer, like the one at UCSB, at all of the UC campuses.