The National Multiple Sclerosis Society will be holding its 13th annual tri-county MS Walk and Run on Sunday in an effort to raise money and create awareness about the tragic disease.

The Channel Islands Chapter of the NMSS has planned a 10K walk and a 5K run in Santa Barbara, Simi Valley, Ventura and San Luis Obispo.

The event will raise funds for research as well as local programs and services for people living with MS. Last year, 1,000 tri-county residents came out to participate in the walk, raising over $125,000.

MS, a neuro-degenerative disorder which causes people to lose control of their motor skills, is typically diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 40 years old. Symptoms of the disease are hard to detect and MS attacks can be severe and unpredictable.

NMSS Community Development Coordinator Lisa Northrop said she hopes the walk will raise awareness in the community about the effects of MS.

“We still don’t have a cure for this devastating disease. Symptoms can range from numbness to blindness to complete paralysis. It is very unpredictable,” she said. “We have 2,500 people in the tri-county area who live with MS. It’s always great to see people in the community coming out to support this cause. We’ve had a lot of great support from UCSB.”

Registration for the Santa Barbara walk begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Santa Barbara City College track and costs $15 per person.