Editor, Daily Nexus:

I am writing in reference to the article in the April Fool’s Day edition of the Nexus entitled, “U.S. army nukes the Philippines.” I am outraged by the pure insensitivity and the lack of humor in this article. I am usually a big fan of the April Fool’s Nexus, but this article was not only offensive, it is a disappointment that an editor would let this go to print. First of all, nuclear weapons are not to be taken lightly, especially in a time of war, and on top of that you openly mock the Philippines and Filipinos in your article. And to use an entire country as the butt of a joke is unethical. I and many other Filipinos do not find this amusing for you to print that a nuclear bomb killed “95 percent” of the Philippine population. It’s a complete outrage that you think that that is funny. The biggest problem with this article is that it is based in reality. All the places in this article are real and I am sure that I am not the only person that has family in those places. Also it is true that there are many al-Qaeda supporters in those regions, and my family like many others has been affected by the Muslim uprisings. Some were kidnapped, like your article jokes, others had their homes burned down, and others were even killed.

What if we changed the article? What if your article read, “Philippine army nukes the U.S.”? And instead of where you had written the Philippines, you substituted it with the U.S.? If I used quotes from your article it would read, “95 percent of the [U.S.] population was decimated in the blast … thus the mission has been a success and guerillas will never terrorize the people of the [U.S.] again.” Are you amused? Was that funny? Of course not! So why should we find your article amusing?

Please write a formal apology in the Nexus for your article. I know that there are many people who would really appreciate it.

CHRISTINE APA