Thursday:

Who needs modern rock and all the flava? Arts & Lectures presents the National Song and Dance Company of Mozambique tonight in Campbell Hall. Making its U.S. debut in 1998, the company has been charming audiences out of their trees every year with their energetic and talented storytelling, singing and dancing. The show begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $28 general admission and $25 for students. Who says that Asian men aren’t hung? The Yellow Menace begs to differ. The Multicultural Center presents the Hereandnow Theatre Company tonight in the MCC Theater. The performance is at 8, and tickets are available through Arts & Lectures, $8 general admission, $5 for students.

Friday:

It’s the battle of the greek-sponsored hip hop benefit shows! Zeta Phi Rho presents a benefit for Yell! magazine, featuring Shadow People and Rhythm Natives. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $3 presale, $4 at the door. The show is at 893 Embarcadero del Norte. Tonight in The Hub (downstairs in the UCen), Theta Chi presents their Rock MS benefit, featuring Mix Master Mike and Casual. Doors open at 7:30. Tickets are $18, UCSB presale (in front of the UCen), and $20 at the door. Blues and rock singer/songwriter Sista Monica plays tonight at SOhO. She calmed a crowd of 15,000 in San Jose when Etta James suddenly fell ill at a show in 1994. She goes on at 9:30. SOhO is located at 1221 State St., downtown.

Saturday:

No, not sovereign nation – independent country. The Living Room hosts Buffalo Records’ Second Anniversary Show tonight. Acts will include Call and Response and Billy Midnight. The show begins at 8 p.m. The Living Room is located at 430C S. Fairview Ave. in Goleta. All ages are welcome. The Santa Barbara Youth Symphony plays their first of two Pops and Pastries concerts tonight at Abravanel Hall. The show is at 6. Tickets are $15. Call 687-0372 for more information. The Santa Barbara Film Society presents UCSB Student Film Night, a collection of student films over the past 10 years. The event is at 7 in I.V. Theater and benefits Film Studies 106 projects. Tickets are $2 for members, $3 for students and $5 general admission.

Sunday:

Are you Alive with PleasureTM? Although unrelated to fiberglass-laden cigarettes, Newport Jazz(r) 2002 is certain to bring you a Kool sensation. Arts & Lectures brings the tour, named after the first ever all-jazz festival in Newport, RI, to Campbell Hall tonight. See why the Los Angeles Times has referred to the Newport tour as “the essence of jazz.” The show begins at 7. Tickets are $35/$30 for general admission, $19/$16 for UCSB students. Tonight at 8, the Academy of Ancient Music Orchestra performs at the Arlington Theatre. The group is one of the first to envision playing baroque music on period instruments. Tickets are $30-$65. The Arlington is at 1377 State St. Call 963-4408 for more information.

Monday:

I just can’t bring myself to make any jokes about Linda Blair with a crucifix. Nonetheless, Arts & Lectures brings Oscar(r)-winning director William Friedkin to Campbell Hall tonight. He will be presenting his 1977 film, “Sorcerer.” The film follows four mercenaries hired to drive nitroglycerine trucks across treacherous roads in Latin America. The film starts at 7:30. Tickets are $6 general, $5 students. Today at the Unitarian Society is one of their periodic poetry meetings, called “Spontaneous Poets,” in which someone will throw out a word and everyone will write for a few minutes, followed by an optional reading. “Spontaneous Poets” is from 2-4 p.m. The Unitarian Society is located at 1535 Santa Barbara St., downtown.

Tuesday:

Okay, get your culturally imperialist minds out of the gutter. The Gyuto Tantric Monastery Choir performs this evening at Lotte Lehman Concert Hall. They’re famous for the ability to create polyphonic chanting in which a single person can chant a full chord. The performance is at 8. Tickets are $20 general admission, $10 for UCSB students. Tickets are available through Arts & Lectures. What could be more American than sex and capitalism? Arts & Lectures presents a screening of the newly reprinted silent film classic, “Diary of a Lost Girl,” tonight at Campbell Hall. Censored until now, the restored print finally highlights the film’s comic spirit. The film is at 7:30. Tickets are $6 general admission, $5 for UCSB students.