Days of Our Drunken Lives

At approximately 12:36 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23 Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers involved in a traffic investigation on the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive noticed someone at a party throwing beer cans and rocks. They observed two females standing near the front door of the party, holding a plastic cup filled with “a beer-colored foamy liquid.” One of the females, a 19 year-old, turned toward the police with a “shocked look on her face,” and dumped the cup out on her foot. The officers asked her why she threw away her beer and she said, “I don’t know what you are talking about, I don’t have any beer.”

The officers asked the 19-year-old her age, and she replied that she was 22 and that her name was Travis. She said, “I know it’s a boys name. My parents are weird, they wanted a boy.” She also said her middle name was Henry.

The officers arrested the other female, a 23-year- old, for public intoxication. She said, “I don’t need to deal with this shit. You’re not going to arrest me. Bullshit!” The suspect then tried to run as she was being handcuffed and said, “Fuck you, you can’t do this to me.”

After checking the name “Travis Henry” with the DMV, the officers discovered the name belonged to a 6’2″ 200-lb. man, who the suspect later admitted was her brother. The 19-year-old was arrested for providing false information.

The 23-year-old suspect asked if she could have a cigarette, but she placed the wrong end in her mouth, saying, “I’m 18, I can have a cig if I want.” While she was being transported, she became very emotional and demanded to know why she was arrested. The officers told her she was intoxicated and had tried to run away. “I wasn’t trying to run away,” she said. “I was walking to get help.”

Both suspects were transported to Santa Barbara County Jail.

Crouching Tiger, Crotch-Kicking Dragon

At approximately 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 22 IVFP officers patrolling the intersection of El Embarcadero and Sabado Tarde Road noticed two 19-year-old females having difficulty walking. The officers asked them to sit on the curb.

One of the suspects said, “Honey, what’s your problem.” After some verbally combative comments, she said, “We don’t have cops like this in Chico.”

Officers told her she was being taken in to custody. She said, “Dude, you don’t treat people like this.” Then, she said in slurred speech, “If I was drunk, I couldn’t talk at all. She then almost fell over and said, “Honey, you don’t know what you are doing.” The officers asked her not to refer to them as “honey.”

“I can call you asshole – it’s called free speech,” she said.

Both suspects were arrested for public intoxication and were transported to Santa Barbara County Jail, where they were housed, pending sobriety.

At the jail, the suspect, who was verbally combative with officers during her arrest, would not comply with simple instructions and was warned by jail personnel. The jail officer turned the female towards the wall by her shoulders. The suspect’s friend became distraught and said, “What are you doing?” She then kicked the officer in the crotch.

-Compiled by Marisa Lagos