The University of California Police Dept. is looking for information about a large amount of vandalism that occurred over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, which caused approximately $5,000 in damage to the campus.

The suspects shattered a large glass window and large glass door in the UCen, damaged two kiosks by the Music building, and tore down signs on the Arts building. They also destroyed two fire alarm boxes and three newly planted trees in the lagoon area, and broke all the sinks, toilets, paper dispensers and exterior lights at the Marine Science Institute, Detective Bill Van said.

In parking lot four, adjacent to San Miguel Residence Hall, the suspects picked up a large metal pole and put it through a car window. The suspects ripped up shower curtains in the 1200-wing bathroom of Santa Cruz Hall and destroyed furniture in the main lounge.

Van said he believes a group of people was involved because of the large amount of damage and because some of the acts, such as pushing over and shattering a cement garbage container, would have required more than one person.

Van said all the damage occurred in a pattern and was most likely carried out by the same people. The suspects most likely started in Isla Vista and made their way toward Snidecor Hall and the Arts building before ending up at the Marine Science Institute.

“There is a method to their madness and they probably ended up at the MSI,” Van said.

Van said that because of the large extent of the damage, there were probably witnesses.

“We’re hoping good people will come forward,” he said.

Anyone with information should call the UCPD at 893-8477.