Editors Note:

Leo Lydon, an 18-year-old freshman from Riverside, passed away in his San Nicolas Residence Hall room on Monday.

Since Lydon’s death, his family and friends have been posting messages in his memory on the Daily Nexus web page, sharing their grief and their memories. Below is a sampling of the comments posted for and about him.

A memorial service for Leo Lydon will be held today. The service will be at 5:15 in the evening on the lawn in front of the San Nicolas and San Miguel residence halls.

Webmaster’s Note: See all comments regarding Leo Lydon

Posted by JD King, Jan. 8, 2002 (6:18 p.m. PST)

Leo was one of my best friends. I knew him since he was seven. We went through so much together. I can’t even start to tell any of you how much this really sucks. He was one heck of a guy, probably one of the funniest guys I will ever know. He loved it at Santa Barbara and he loved all of his friends there, too. He will be missed. Leo, you were like a brother to me growing up and I want you to know that I’ll never forget you or the great times we had together. Anyone mourning this loss can know there is a large mass of people in Riverside feeling the same way. -JD

Posted by itsbaconbits, Jan. 8, 2002 (10:40 p.m. PST)

If you have been reading the other messages you can see how much of a friend Leo became to all who came across him. I remember he was the first person who tried bringing me into his group of friends, and now looking back at those times … I’m very thankful I met him. I can’t help but remember the time he took me to see a musical (I did not expect anything like that out of Leo). He caught you off guard and always surprised you. Laughter, brutal honesty and the positiveness Leo brought will surely be missed. But never forgotten. Pray for him (your friends from around and in Riverside will surely do so), and may God bless you, Leo. -Jeff Ignacio

Posted by supera1315, Jan. 8, 2002 (11:11 p.m. PST)

Everyone who knew Leo Lydon will always remember the smiles and laughter he brought into the hearts of those he came in contact with. He had something really going for him, people like him come very rarely in our lives. I will never forget the moment (though this may sound strange) a group of friends and I ran naked up on La Sierras Cross Country Course about three years back at 2 in the morning, LOL, and he was so light that you could actually see him in the dark. =) He and I stayed there the night in the freezing cold and walked to Robert’s house to raid his fridge that same morning and leech off of him for a ride. He always succeeded in making me laugh and we would occasionally cheat off each others’ test in psychology class. =)

You will be missed a ton Leo, and the memories that we all have will never be forgotten. Guys like you only come once in a lifetime and I feel blessed that I had the chance to know you buddy. Thanks for all the memories. =)

Posted by MegrDaPegr, Jan. 8, 2002 (11:15 p.m. PST)

There are no words to describe the loss of such a gifted individual. Leo could light up an entire room with his presence. He was a bright spot in my life and will never be forgotten. My regards go out to his family and the many friends he left behind.

Posted by Eunice Del Rosario, Jan. 8, 2002 (11:26 p.m. PST)

Leo Lydon. His name says it all. In fact, it was his name that first intrigued me. I was in 8th grade collecting money in classes from the candy sale. When I went in his class and looked at the roster, his name struck me; as dorky as it sounds, it was because his name was an alliteration (thank you, Ms. Long).

I finally met him in 9th grade because of cross country. That’s when our friendship began. He was one of those people who had a certain charm and an alluring nature. I know that every person that’s met him can honestly say there’s no one else like him. He had such a witty, funny and sarcastic humor. He could always make anyone laugh. Leo has touched so many lives, including mine.

I have known him for 5 years and every memory is a treasure, as I’m sure it is for all of you. He was such a big part of my senior year in La Sierra, from both our homecomings to prom. I will never forget you, Leo. Thanks for all the good times. Even after life you still continue to touch our lives. Reminding us of how every moment with family and friends are so important as well as allowing us to see how grudges, fights, negative thinking, too much pride, jealousy, and greed are so insignificant and a waste of our lives. As you always said to us, “Get over it.” In this case, it will be more difficult for all of us.

Posted by Billy Lydon, Jan. 9, 2002 (12:58 a.m. PST)

“Leo Lydon,” they told me one July 12 eighteen years ago, “his name is Leo.” I thought, “Wow, that’s a funny name.”

“He is your new baby brother.” Did I want a brother? At the time, I was too young to know whether he was a good addition to our home. He was a big baby with a huge head. I never realized he would turn into a thing of such beauty. Eventually he did, and what a sight he was. Until then, I had never known anyone with as much self-confidence as him. I never told him how much I admired him. I admired his daring to be a leader, his ability to light up a room just by him being there, and most of all, I admired his ability to be a carefree spirit.

LEO, I LOVE YOU AND I HOLD YOU CLOSE TO MY HEART.

YOUR BIGGEST ADMIRER, your brother.

Posted by Jen Nolte, Jan. 9, 2002 (2:34 p.m. PST)

Reading through the other posted messages, I know that I didn’t know Leo as well as many others did. I’ve only known him for the few months we’ve lived on Shiloh, but Leo has still made an impact on my life. It seems hard to imagine that he won’t be hanging out with us anymore. … I keep waiting for him to walk into the lounge and say something to make everyone laugh. I’m glad I had the opportunity to share in a small part of Leo’s life. … He was a unique individual, and things won’t be the same without him.

Leo, thanks for the memories. … I’ll miss you.