At approximately 9:20 p.m. on Friday evening a vehicle struck two pedestrians crossing Embarcadero del Norte at Cervantes Road.

The victims, Pablo Orduna-Portus and Miguel Senosiain, both 23-year old Brazilian lecturers at UCSB, were immediately transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, where Senosiain was treated for minor injuries and released, California Highway Patrol Officer Kevin Coomer said. Orduna-Portus, who suffered head trauma and underwent surgery on Saturday morning, was in stable condition Sunday.

“The first subject closest to the car hit the windshield. … He suffered an intracranial hemorrhage and went to surgery [Saturday] morning,” Coomer said. “He’s still in the [intensive care unit], but he’s in stable condition, which is good.”

The driver, 20-year-old UCSB student Connor Swegle, was reportedly driving northbound on Embarcadero del Norte at approximately 30 mph and did not see the pedestrians because he was distracted by another vehicle, according to Coomer.

“The driver’s attention was distracted by a white-colored vehicle that was driving westbound on Cervantes [Road] toward Embarcadero del Mar at the same time,” Coomer said. “The driver said the car traveling westbound distracted him because he didn’t think they were going to stop. When he realized they were going to stop, he saw the pedestrians.”

Coomer said the CHP investigation is ongoing, but no charges have been filed yet.

“It doesn’t appear any of the three had alcohol in their system, so alcohol didn’t play a part in the collision at all,” he said.