Contemporaries may hold William Jefferson Clinton’s presidency in much higher esteem than history will in the coming years. In an era when the President has less to do with the economy than ever before, Clinton is given credit for our unprecedented prosperity. But, if you want to give credit where credit is due, thank the Republican Congress! In 1994, Newt Gingrich put forth the Contract with America. Seven of the 10 points of this legislative plan were begrudgingly accepted by President Clinton and six years later he asked us the old Reagan question, “Are you better off today than you were eight years ago?” The answer is yes, but the question should be “why?”

When it comes to foreign policy you have to give ol’ Bill credit for the attempted peace agreements between Israel and Palestine. Unfortunately, Bill hit some other bumps along the way. In an effort to cut military spending that successfully brought the Cold War to an end in 1991, the president cut the military, but expanded its role internationally. Pat Buchanan once said that Clinton’s experience in foreign policy consisted of “eating breakfast once at the International House of Pancakes!” Is that why we had U.S. military soldiers killed and their bodies dragged through the streets of Somalia? Why were we in East Timor? Why are our soldiers still in places like Kosovo, Bosnia and Korea?

The U.S. military has become the world’s police force. This year, 13 percent of military officers are retiring or seeking new careers because of disgust with how the military’s role has changed. The purpose of the military is to fight and win war, not to become a U.S. “Meals on Wheels” peacekeeping force with guns. And let’s not forget the bombing of Afghanistan, which just happened to occur during the Monica Lewinsky, scandal. C’mon Bill, we all saw the movie “Wag the Dog;” how dumb do you think we are?

Many historians say you can rate a president’s success by looking at his cabinet. Let’s consider Attorney General Janet Reno. I have to give Clinton credit for appointing the first female attorney general, but that’s it. This woman is single-handedly responsible for the deaths of all those innocent children in Waco, the Eli