Sierra Deak / Daily Nexus

Shopping Local

If you find yourself with some free time and extra cash this Saturday, April 27, stop by the Isla Vista Market at Little Acorn Park at 6747 El Embarcadero from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The casual open-air market will host local vendors selling everything from vintage clothing, handmade jewelry and ceramics to biodegradable glitter, stickers and art. There will even be services such as eyebrow threading. Over 30 vendors will be putting their goods on display, with some taking Venmo for payment, too. Isla Vista Trading Post will also have their shop set up and will be allowing patrons to pick out three pieces of clothing for free.

Soundcheck

Some say that the best bands are formed solely by chance. For bands playing at the 2019 Band Lottery Showcase, that’s exactly what happened. About a month ago, Biko Garage Funzone hosted an event where musicians looking to form a group could meet up and be randomly sorted into new bands. Now, some of those bands are returning to Biko Garage at 6612 Sueno Road on Saturday from 7 to 10 p.m. to put their new grooves to the test. At least two of the bands are scheduled to play, and Isla Vistans can drop in throughout the night to support some of the newest local music in I.V.

Down with Capitalism

Who ever said communism is dead? Definitely not a couple of bands slated to play at Communist Mothers Music Collective this Saturday, April 17 at 8 p.m. Local bands Careless Cub and Aqua Stalin will be providing the tunes for a night of condemning capitalism among comrades. If you’ve got a bone to pick with the system, this is the party for you.

Yoga for the Soul

Mantra Lounge Kirtan Santa Barbara and Yoga Isla Vista host an evening of Kirtan Yoga for community members to gather, shed the stresses of the day and unwind with meditative music. Kirtan is a type of religious performance art, using storytelling and narrating to take participants through meditation, but participants of all beliefs are encouraged to participate. The yoga sesh charges a $5 fee and comes with a complimentary vegan treat. The class will be held at Yoga Isla Vista at 900 Embarcadero Del Mar, Suite D, upstairs from the parking behind Silvergreens.

Fun at the Fairgrounds

As summer inches closer, lots of people are looking to break away from hitting the books and start enjoying all the fun that summer has to offer. For those looking to get started early, the Santa Barbara Fair & Expo is coming to town this week. It’s open from 4 to 10 p.m. on Thursday, April 25; from 4 to 12 p.m. on Friday, April 26; from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Saturday, April 27; and from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, April 28. The fair, which is dinosaur-themed this year, will have vendors, entertainers, rides and all the other sentimental fair festivities. Tickets are $5 to $8 for general admission and $30 for carnival wristbands. The fair will take place at the Earl Warren Showgrounds at 400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara.