Associated Students On-Campus Senator Yasamin Salari is not living in on-campus housing, which is a violation of legal code as discussed at the Wednesday night Senate meeting.

Salari ran as an on-campus senator during the Spring Quarter 2018 elections. Jose Ochoa / Daily Nexus 

Salari, a second-year pre-political science major, spoke Wednesday night regarding rumors about her living situation. She confirmed she is living off campus rather than on campus.

As an on-campus senator, Salari is required to “live amongst [her] constituents during Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters of their year of elective service,” according to Article II Section 1(B)(4) of the Associated Students (A.S.) legal code.

Salari said she intended to live on campus when she ran for the position, but cited financial burdens as the reason she was unable to.

“I am an on-campus senator, and I know a lot of people are, I guess, upset about the fact that I’m living off campus,” Salari said during the meeting.

“When I got elected for it, and because of some financial issues, I wasn’t able to [live on campus]. As many of you know, living on campus is more expensive.”

She said she would be “more than happy” to privately discuss further details about her financial issues.

Salari ran on a platform of reinforcing UCSB’s student health care system, citing early closing hours and the lack of an urgent care system.

The A.S. Attorney General Zeina Safadi sent out an email to all senators to discuss Salari’s standing.

Safadi said A.S. Elections Board initially approached Salari to ask about her living situation after they had received a complaint, to which she “did not provide a conclusive answer.”

“There was no prior indication to Senate as a whole that Yasamin was in financial burden and thus Yasamin was not transparent about this situation; with that, there was an active effort to conceal,” Safadi said in the email.

“Furthermore, the initial refusal to answer questions about her living situation solidifies the lack of transparency, and thus indicates her acknowledgement of violating the rule and the subsequent concealment of the violation.”

Safadi added that “concealing the truth about not living among your representative constituents is a direct violation of [A.S.] Legal Code.”

During Wednesday night’s Senate meeting, Senate voted to give Salari a one-time exception with the stipulation that her living situation would be later discussed within the A.S. Internal Committee.

Several senators also discussed permanently changing legal codes to allow for future exceptions. There was no motion made regarding legal code changes.

Correction [Nov. 16]: Salari did not specify the exact location of where she is living, only stating she is living off campus. That information was obtained from the email from A.G. and has been removed from this article at Salari’s request. 

Evelyn Spence
Evelyn Spence harbors a great love for em dashes and runs on nothing but iced coffee, Jolly Ranchers and breaking news. She serves as the managing editor and can be reached at evelyn@dailynexus.com, managing@dailynexus.com or at @evelynrosesc on Twitter.