Sierra Deak / Daily Nexus

LET’S JAM

The Associated Students (A.S.) Pardall Center will be hosting a two-week-long study jam from Week 10 up until finals week. Beginning on Thursday, Dec. 7 at 8 a.m., the center will be open for 24 hours a day. The center will provide free scantrons, healthy snacks and coffee, power outlets, Wi-Fi, printing, comfortable seats, “great” lighting and “chill” vibes.

SWAPAHOLICS

The I.V. Trading Post will be hosting a clothing swap at Anisq’Oyo Park this Friday, Dec. 8, from 12 to 4 p.m. The group says it wants to provide an alternative to fast-fashion choices and promote sustainable fashion choices while discussing the effect of negative habits on the environment. Clothes that are not swapped will be donated.

#SELF-CARE

The I.V. Community Services District will be hosting a mental health informational workshop in collaboration with the Counseling and Psychological Services (C.A.P.S.) Mental Health Peers this Friday, Dec. 8, from 7 to 8 p.m. The Mental Health Peers will be teaching students and residents how to take care of their mental health during study week, finals week and other stressful times.

PRE-TEA COOL

The I.V. Food Cooperative will host a tea and art therapy day at their building at 6575 Seville Road this Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m to help I.V. residents practice self-care. The co-op will provide free arts and crafts supplies and healthy snacks on its patio from 2 to 4:30 p.m. and a tea tasting from 3 to 6 p.m. including tea room chocolate.

MEATLESS SUNDAY
A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, at Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Cafe). Food Not Bombs is a large organization that spans the country and is a form of “franchise activism.” They believe corporate and government priorities are skewed and allow hunger despite the abundance of food and food waste. Those interested in cooking for Sunday can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com or look for more information on the Food Not Bombs – Isla Vista Facebook page. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

SPEAK UP
The I.V. Community Services District (CSD) will have a meeting of its board of directors in the Community Room of the I.V. Neighborhood Clinic building at 970 Embarcadero Del Mar behind Naan Stop this Tuesday, Dec. 12, starting at 6 p.m. The CSD is always looking for I.V. residents’ input over how to best represent and help our diverse community. Stop by and give your elected representatives your opinion on how they can better serve you.

NEW DOG LEASH LAWS

The I.V. Recreation & Park District (IVRPD) will be discussing new, stricter dog leash laws at their next board meeting on Thursday, Dec. 14. The IVRPD board is looking for the public’s opinion and input on the new laws, as well as any recommendations for parks and recreation-related improvements. Stop by the IVRPD’s office across from Naan Stop and next to the I.V. Food Cooperative next Thursday to share your thoughts on how to make I.V. a safer place for dogs and humans.

A version of this article appeared on p.3 of the Dec. 7 print edition of the Daily Nexus.