The live-action “Beauty and the Beast” premiered on March 17, and with it comes the nostalgic desire to immerse ourselves into the fantastical world of the 18th century Paris we loved as kids. After the movie’s premiere, I found myself longing for a literal taste of this magical world and set out in search of a recipe to try.
For those who are avid fans of Disney, as I am, you may recall Lumiere inviting you to try the “grey stuff” in the opening lines of “Be Our Guest.” While once leaving us to wonder what the treat could be, the dessert has since been created and is now being offered at the Red Rose Taverne in Disneyland and the Be Our Guest Restaurant in Disney World. If you would prefer not to make the trip, you can easily make the sweet mousse-like dessert at home and be transported to the Beast’s castle.
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 package (3.4 oz) of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 15 Oreo cookies
- 1 tub (8 oz) of whipped topping
- 1 tbsp of instant chocolate pudding mix
- Edible pearl sprinkles
- Pour the milk and vanilla pudding mix into a bowl, whisking together until smooth.
- Place the Oreos into a sandwich bag, pounding them until finely ground into crumbs.
- Add the crumbs into the milk and pudding mixture, along with the whipped topping and tablespoon of chocolate pudding mix. Whisk the ingredients together until fully mixed.
- Place the “grey stuff” into the refrigerator to chill.
- Scoop the “grey stuff” into a piping bag (sandwich bag if you prefer to DIY it like me), piping the mixture onto a plate and sprinkling on the edible pearls as desired.
- “Try the grey stuff, it’s delicious.”
Recipe courtesy of family.disney.com https://family.disney.com/recipe/beauty-and-the-beast-food-grey-stuff/
While the final product turned out to have a rather interesting appearance, to say the least, it compensated with its flavor. Similar to a mousse in consistency, the “grey stuff” was delightfully sweet, with all the taste of a cookies-and-cream dessert. While typically served over cupcakes or cookies, I ate the “grey stuff” straight out of the bowl. All in all, it’s the perfect treat to transcend you into the fantastical world of Disney and straight to Prince Adam’s doorstep in “Beauty and the Beast.”