Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

News

Fire Engulfs UCSB Construction Site

At approximately 3:30 a.m. this morning, fire crews, sheriffs and UCPD responded to flames engulfing several structures at a UCSB construction site located on Storke Rd. between West Campus Apartments and Whittier Dr. Several dozen onlookers watched as firefighters attempted to extinguish a structure still under construction and a bank of portable trailers, among others.

The cause of the fire is yet to be announced and nearby residents have not been asked to evacuate. This marks the second concurrent week of fire on UCSB land, following a brush fire that burned 20 acres of nature reserve on June 26.

UPDATE 5:52 a.m.: The fire has been reported as fully contained. An investigation of its cause is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact UCPD at 805-893-3446.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Photos by Robert Johnson // Daily Nexus.

This story is a Daily Nexus online exclusive.

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.