This coming Friday, May 30, UCSB’s Improvability will host “IMPROVATHON,” 24 hours of nonstop improvised performances and fun.

The event will feature a different performance every hour, ranging from scenes to musical numbers, and each hour is directed by a different member of the team. The best part? Attendees of all 24 hours will receive a lifetime pass to all Improvability shows.

Tickets are $3 each for students and all funds support the Improvability group, which has been entertaining the Isla Vista community every Friday night for the last decade.

Improvability has brought a number of famous comedians to the stage in the past and have earned a solid reputation as a smash hit.

The group currently consists of 12 members: Lorcan McGrath, Shelby Geitner, Brittany Ragan, Mel Weisberger, Madeline Blair, Matt Meyer, Mason Sperling, Ian Davis, Leah Hardin, Henry Raschke, Michael Calmis and Varrick Weir.
Improvability was formed originally in order to “fill a gap in the community,” says Maddison Caroll, public relations representative of I.V. Live. It was meant to foster a sense of togetherness that Isla Vista was in dire need of after several students were killed by David Attias in 2001. In light of the tragic events of last Friday, we see that this idea of community is incredibly necessary.

“[It’s] a fun way to bring people together, which is really important right now,” Caroll said.

So come be a part of the spontaneous, exciting and unpredictable laughter and joy that improvised comedy inspires. Be sure not to miss the terrific Improvability team’s “IMPROVATHON” this Friday at Embarcadero Hall starting at 8 p.m.

A version of this story appeared on page 13 of Thursday, May 29, 2014′s print edition of the Daily Nexus.