News / Police Blotter

Three Arrested Over Stabbing, Unlawful Assembly

UPDATE 6/25: UCSB student Tomas Deleveau was arrested March 9, 2014 for alleged battery of a police officer but was not convicted. A decision not to file an accusatory pleading of Deleveau was made by the Santa Barbara County District on April 8, 2014. Thus the taking into custody of Deleveau on March 9 was a detention only, and not an arrest.

UPDATE 4/10: Although Otis Dezjuan Washington identified himself as such, he is currently not enrolled as a UCSB student as initially reported in the press release.

Last night, a stabbing occurred on the 6600 block of Del Playa Drive at approximately 10:45 p.m., after which a large crowd surrounded the police officers who were investigating the scene and grew to become an “unlawful assembly,” resulting in the arrest of two UCSB students.

The victim of the stabbing was a 20–year-old non-resident from Rhode Island, who was in Isla Vista visiting his brother, according to a press release from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office. The perpetrator was Lompoc resident 18-year-old Kuriyan Summers-Dickinson, and the incident occurred after a fight broke out at the residence. The victim is currently in a stable condition at a local hospital, and Summers-Dickinson was arrested and charged with attempted murder, according to the press release.

Following the stabbing, a large crowd accumulated around the deputies who were attending to the incident, and Isla Vista resident Otis Dezjuan Washington was found jumping on top of vehicles and arrested for “vehicle tampering and resisting arrest.” As police arrested Washington, more people crowded around the deputies and “began chanting and throwing bottles,” according to the press release, eventually resulting in an unlawful assembly with an estimated one thousand people. Law enforcement pushed back the crowd, using pepper spray and batons on those who refused to leave, resulting in the arrest of UCSB student Tomas Delaveau for battery on a peace officer.

Public Information Specialist for the SB County Sheriff’s Office Kelly Hoover maintained that the crowd would not be considered a riot, but that it risked becoming one.

“It was an unlawful assembly which could have turned into a riot,” Hoover said.

Hoover said the crowd assembled as a result of being intrigued by Washington’s arrrest, and began shouting things like “Let him go,” and “Fuck the police.”

“I believe they just saw that someone was being arrested, and they gathered around the deputies who were making the arrested and the handcuffed student,” Hoover said. “I think when it started out it was a couple hundred people, and then as they saw there was something happening more and more people gathered.”

Hoover expressed frustration with the behavior of the crowd, saying the crowd restricted the law enforcement’s ability to keep the area safe.

“It’s disappointing that when law enforcement is out there trying to keep people safe, to have individuals who are making that effort more difficult and being disrespectful to our law enforcement,” Hoover said.

A fourth-year resident of the 6600 block of Del Playa who requested to remain anonymous said she was disappointed with the crowd’s response to the police, given their role in keeping the community safe.

“It is completely disrespectful and shameful for the crowd to have yelled such insults to our police officers, the ones who are working to control crimes such as the horrific rape that occurred this month. I’d like to feel safe in my community,” she said.

Photos Courtesy of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.

This story appeared as an online exclusive on Sunday, March 9, 2014.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

23 Comments

1. I grew up in Isla Vista. Lived there over half my life (27 yrs) I went to IV school k-6th grade. I saw the riots up close as well as watching Keven Moran get shot. I was too young to really know what was going on but later discovered what I had seen and was horrified. I also saw them beat my brother with a baton because they thought he was drunk. What they took for drunk was a speech impediment and they beat him so hard he had seizures for the rest of his life. I have seen stuff from Isla Vista cops that would curl your hair and straighten it out again. At age 11 I was molested in the field of the school and the cops told my Mom I was lying!! Why?? Because they said I had too many details!! I was raised to believe that the cops were the good guys. I believe there are a few good ones but I also believe that for every good one there are 3 bad.

2. Captain Obvious says:

In Isla Vista on April 18th, 1970, Kevin Moran was shot to death by a cop.

2pac put it best:

I love Cali like I love woman
    ’cause every nigga in LA got a little bit of Thug in him
    We might fight amongst each other, but I promise you this
    We’ll burn this bitch down, get us pissed

Violence, theft, rape, excessive alcohol and drug consumption… they are all problems in Isla Vista that need to be solved.

But they aren’t the only problems that need to be solved. Getting rid of abusive police before they cause a real problem is important.

The last thing we want is the cops in Isla Vista is inciting a real riot. What happened last weekend is nothing compared to the amount of damage an angry mob of students could do.

Why was Kevin Moran shot back in the 70s? Putting out a fire in the Bank of America building.

Initially, the cops denied it was their doing and blamed it on an unknown sniper.

But then it came out that it really was the cops. Yep, a trigger happy cop killed a student. KILLED.

He’s dead now. You can’t bring him back.

Cop apologists: the blood is on your hands.

And after this there was massive rioting. Not before the cops stepped in. After.

3. Captain Obvious says:

Oklahoma cops beat man to death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ptuQfV4q0

South Carolina cops pull 70 year old for expired tags, shoot him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCIU2kv-2E

4. 18th Street says:

The standards at this school must be extremely low. Otherwise, how can the stupid behavior by such a large number of students be explained. If I was a good student and person at this university, I would consider leaving.
    UCSB is an embarrassment to the collegiate-level system of education in the US. The President of this university needs to be held accountable for the uneducated, anti-social behavior of its masses of student. UCSB has a reputation as a “party school”. I believe that is all it is – and, a waste of money to anyone footing the bill for a student attending there.

5. You’ve got to be kidding me. The problem is definitely not the police.

‘bs’, you say you and your friends get arrested for 3 drinks? Pull yourself together! You were obviously doing something stupid to make the cops curious. I’m in my fourth and final year here, and never have I, nor any of my friends, been arrested. I’m sure the majority of UCSB students can say the same. Yeah, we all like to have a good time, but you have to know the rules. Noise ordinance, urinating in public, ‘sitting on the curb’, open container, MIP, vandalism, drunk in public, assaulting an officer, drug use—the list goes on. These are all things that every UCSB student should know will get you in trouble. Everyone is drunk in public on weekend nights in IV. So for you to be singled out, out of hundreds or thousands of people, means you were obviously doing something stupid.

Sure, one or two cops may be unfair, rude, or aggressive every once in a while, like Captain Obvious ‘claims’. This is not the case majority of the time though. They let people off the hook all the time.

If anything, the cops in IV are lenient. Where else can you act the way you do in IV? ‘More police,’ says Yang? Fine by me.

6. The police didn’t do anything wrong this night, but the “unlawful assembly” is a cause of the police being absolute assholes almost every other night. I have had multiple friends arrested for having 3 or 4 drinks in a night, then been taken in for public intoxication when clearly we were all fine.

Once cops taunted me that I would be arrested if I did not walk on the sidewalk. Turns out there was no sidewalk. I told them this and they cussed at me and told me to get inside.

They pay absolutely no respect to the residents of IV. That is why you get riots like “fuck the police.” I mean who wouldn’t want to say that when you get something on your permanent record like public intoxication when you clearly are not hurting anybody? The police out here are ruining people’s ability to be employed just because they want to have a little fun drinking. And with that, they get, and deserve absolutely no respect. The problem is not with the students, the problem is with the source…the police.

• Yeah…it’s the police breaking into houses and stealing your laptop, or smashing of a string of side view mirrors, or raping people, or stabbing people, or kicking a guys head while he is knocked out on the ground, or mugging people, or dancing on top of random cars, or harassing girls walking by, or throwing bottles from their balcony.

I would say that there are of Residents who show no respect to IV. Go take a walk on the beach on a Saturday morning and look at the broken glass coming from the balconies above. Or look at the garbage on the street on a weekend. Or throw a party and see what has been stolen.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the people of Isla Vista are incapable of simultaneously being responsible and maintaining the party lifestyle.

• It truly IS police breaking into houses (barging in unlawfully), kicking a guys head while he is on the ground (police brutality admit it, we’ve all witnessed it), DEFINITELY harassing girls walking by (ask any girl in IV). Also cops are statistically more likely to commit domestic violence, surely as a result of the power trips they are on. Sure they may not be stealing laptops or stabbing people, but the police do NOT show respect to residents of IV.

• I don’t know how versed you are in the law, but a quick look at the flyer they send out every Halloween explains when. If you have more than 5 people visible from the street inside the home, they are allowed to enter. If music can be heard from the street, they are allowed to enter. If you believe they are being unlawful, it is your right to not allow them into your home. And speaking as a girl who has walked the streets of IV in the middle of the night for almost 4 years now, I have never once witnessed a cop harassing a female. More often than not, cops are just standing on the sidewalk making sure no one is stabbing anyone. They only arrest if you are making a scene. If they arrested you just because you are drunk, they would have to arrest a whole lot of people every night.

• Captain Obvious says:

>> Yeah…it’s the police breaking into houses

I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

>> and stealing your laptop

Google “civil forfeiture”

>>or smashing of a string of side view mirrors

Admittedly, I haven’t seen this yet.

>> or raping people

This happens all the time but I’ve never heard of it happening in Isla Vista.

>> or stabbing people

What about shooting Kevin Moran?

>> or kicking a guys head while he is knocked out on the ground

See the video I posted above.

>> or mugging people

Again, Google “civil forfeiture”

>> or dancing on top of random cars

Admittedly, I haven’t seen that yet.

>> or harassing girls walking by

They harass EVERYONE, not just girls.

7. Captain Obvious says:

Of course people are fucking sick of the cops in Isla Vista.

They don’t do anything to prevent crime. They spend their time looking for people to harass.

They have no respect for us. They treat us like shit.

I was bringing an unopened bottle of Malibu to a friend’s house. While walking a cop grabbed me from behind, dragged me to the curb, and ordered me to sit while making some rude comment like “What do you think you’re doing?” Asked for ID, checked to see that the bottle was shut, and sent me on my way.

I pay your fucking salary, maybe a little respect wouldn’t hurt? How about “Hey sir, I need to verify that your bottle isn’t open.”

Or how about the IV Foot Patrol’s favorite citation – the noise violation. Playing music that can be heard more than 100 feet from the curb on a Friday at 12:01 AM? Say hello to a fine. Housemate playing the music, you just answered the door? Oops. What the fuck is this? If someone COMPLAINS TO THE COPS about noise, then the cops should do something about it. But judging by everyone at every single rager wanting to keep the music going past 12… it’s pretty fucking obvious that Isla Vista does not want a noise ordinance.

Last night… before the whole stabbing shit went down, there were some people at the park at the beginning of 66 block DP. The cops kept shining their lights on the people. They never asked the people to move. Or leave. Or anything. They just would shine a really bright cop light on them. What the fuck?

Keep this place great. Don’t let the piggies have it.

Party on, Isla Vista.

• I live in IV and I agree with the noise ordinance as I am a student, paying to go to school, and prioritize academics over drinking. But somehow people were playing music last night at 4 AM.

• Noise Ordinance says:

Then call the cops?

It’s obvious the noise ordinance doesn’t do shit except allow cops to hand out fines if they want.

A good rule would be “If its late, AND someone is complaining about noise”, turn it off.

Not just a blanket ban.

• Captain Obvious,

The cause of these problems IS alcohol, drugs, and partying. The cops are smart enough to address the causation and be proactive… Instead of reactive and let things get out of control. If we cut back the reckless alcohol consumption then the problems of assault and burglaries will reduce. Just look at all of the crimes against other people that involve alcohol. Last weekend’s stabbing would never have happened if the party didn’t take place.

• 18th Street says:

JBlack,
        You are right on and a good person.
        The problem is that you are in the minority. It is time to start expelling the top trouble-makers and restore order at this school. Where is the President of this university?

• Captain Obvious, I highly doubt that you pay property taxes in Santa Barbara County thus you do not pay their salaries. Furthermore you probably ultimately pay so little in state taxes by the time you get your return pennies, if anything go towards the wages of the California Highway Patrol officers that assist in law enforcement of the area. As a gainfully employed taxpayer, I’m likely paying more for your education, possible financial aide, and any other assistance you get than you have ever paid for public safety. Grow up, and get over yourself.

• anti-authoritarian says:

Cops can address the causation and be proactive RESPECT-fully. That builds good will over time shows rogue cops who naturally abuse their power how it’s done, and engenders respect rather than scorn for law enforcement as a whole. Admittedly, given the character of IV, this is a discipline that is probably very difficult to adhere too but since we want crowds who back (good) cops, it’s worth putting the effort into.

• 18th Street says:

Why don’t you learn to speak English, you low life?
      Do you expect anyone to ever hire you for real job?
      Dream on.

8. And this nonetheless occurring after our IV rally for unity. Unfortunately these mild educational ploys do not work…the core problem in Isla Vista is alcohol abuse on a regular basis. When people become drunk, the education they have received becomes meaningless. These rapes or stabbings or beatings will not clear up until the people of IV can take control of themselves and turn this town into a place more accepting of civil behavior and less accepting of the scum that bring knives and fists to Del Playa. And that means cutting down on alcohol and routine recklessness. We can try and get around that point all we want but that is the end game.

We have done this to ourselves. The change we need to see can only come from within.

• i don't think so says:

I don’t think that the change we need to see needs to come solely from within. One change we could all make as a student body is to stop inviting out-of-towners and refuse to house the out-of-towners who invite themselves. Most of the crimes in IV are committed by non-UC students. Yes alcohol makes us all stupid, but does it make us evil-doers? No. NONE of us accept people who bring knives to IV. We all collectively reject these people and should work on making IV exclusive to UCSB students and educating existing CC students who I believe bring in more out-of-towners than our UC population. We have NOT done this to ourselves. We CAN be more proactive about it. IV let’s step it up

9. Chairman Yang says:

More lights! More surveillance! More laws! More police!

• 18th Street says:

And, NO MORE ALCOHOL!
      Eliminate all liquor licenses in the area.
      Do you want to get a higher education and do something in life. Or, do you want to be a low-life, profanity-spewing drunk?