Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Feature >> Science & Tech >> Special Section

Points of Pride for Gauchos in Lab Coats

Kohn_Hall,_UCSB

UCSB’s Kohn Hall, home to the world renowned Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics

• According to U.S. News and World Report’s guide, UCSB ranks number 10 among worldwide public universities.
  • UCSB’s faculty includes five Nobel Laureates for research in chemistry, physics, and economics.
  • UCSB received $222 million in funding for research in 2010.
  • The campus is home to 11 national institutes and centers, including eight that are supported by the National Science Foundation.
  • More than 50% of all graduating seniors work with faculty members on original research or creative projects.
  • The National Research Council recognized The Koegel Autism Center at the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education as one of the top 10 state-of-the-art treatment centers for autism in the United States.
  • UCSB is leading the MacArthur Foundation’s $10-million national program on the law and neuroscience, which considers how courts should deal with new brain-scanning techniques as they apply to matters of law.
  • The College of Engineering established the Institute for Energy Efficiency, which was recently awarded a $19 million grant by the Department of Energy, to bring together 50 campus researchers to develop new energy-saving technologies.
  • UCSB and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute have established a joint Center for Nanomedicine to pioneer the development of novel biomedical research technologies.
  • Researchers at UCSB demonstrated the world’s first nonpolar blue-violet laser diodes, which have numerous commercial and medical applications.
  • The Institute for Scientific Information ranked UCSB number 7 worldwide in terms of impact of climate change research.

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.