The moment Manchester United fans have been dreading for years is finally upon us.

Yes, the most legendary manager in English football, Sir Alex Ferguson, is stepping down after this season, signaling the end of one of the most impressive runs in all of sports.

In an era where managers are sometimes not even given a year before they are sacked (I’m looking at you, Roman Abramovich), Ferguson’s 26 years at the helm of the Red Devils is truly unprecedented.

The loyalty he showed to United and its fans over the years is special and will perhaps never be seen again.

In fact, the only thing that can surpass Ferguson’s loyalty is his success.

Thirteen Premier League titles, five FA Cups, four League Cups and two Champions League titles make him the winningest manager ever to coach in England.

Yet despite all his achievements, the past few years may be his most impressive of all. After winning the Premier League in 2009, Ferguson was handed the task of rebuilding the team after basically being forced into selling his best player, Cristiano Ronaldo, to Real Madrid.

Not only that but during this time, the economic climate of English football was radically changing. Free-spending Chelsea and Manchester City were breaking transfer records left and right, and Ferguson simply didn’t have the same amount of funds at his disposal.

However, with his deft maneuvering in the transfer market, he built a squad that has now won the Premier League title two out of the last three years. United have also made two appearances in the Champions League final, but unfortunately were matched up against a Barcelona squad that many consider to be the best team of all-time.

Nonetheless, now that Sir Alex has announced he’s stepping down, it is time for everyone who enjoys the beautiful game, not just United fans, to look back and marvel at everything he has accomplished over his illustrious career. Indeed, we may never see another manager like him again.

This article is an online exclusive and did not appear in the print edition of The Daily Nexus.