On the heels of a raucous Cinco de Mayo, Isla Vista residents mellowed out with music, art and community pride at Chilla Vista on Sunday.

The annual event filled Anisq’ Oyo’ Park and People’s Park with more than 40 activity tables as local musicians — including head- liner and Malibu native Shwayze — performed on the zero-waste event’s sustainable stages. Hosted by the Associated Students Isla Vista Community Relations Committee, the office of A.S. External Vice President of Local Affairs and KCSB, the festival boasted free food from local venues as well as tie-dyeing stations, henna tattoos and a farmers market.

IVCRC Co-Chair Kaitlyn Christianson, the I.V. liaison to the EVPLA, said an estimat- ed 1,000 people attended this year’s festivities.

“There has been a big flow of people; it’s been a good turnout,” Christianson, a second- year political science major, said. “We get the headliners like Shwayze because we want to bring a lot of people out, and people end up coming and they see this other music that they might have never listened to.”

The festival featured performances by Mariano Silva & Prakantar, Ghost Tiger, Naked Walrus, Rainbow Girls, Nosaj Thing and The Fire Department, who will play at Extravaganza 2012.

According to Christianson, IVCRC and KCSB each chose about half of the performing bands.

“It’s been good [hosting the event] with KCSB because they pull their crowd — the crowd that’s really excited about the music that they’re going to play,” Christianson said. “Then we get a lot of the local [residents] and the people that are going to come for the headliner. It’s a good mix; it comes out to a lot of people.”

Second-year English major Daniel Dunietz said the event truly lived up to its catchy title.

“It’s super chill; I’ve been chilling,” Dunietz said. “The music is pretty chill. There is nothing I’d rather be doing on a Sunday but chilling, and Chilla Vista takes care of that. I got some work to do, but it’s hard to move when you’re chilling this hard … I’m pretty posted.”

IVCRC Co-Chair Dana Magallanes, a third-year sociology major, said the committee effectively increased this year’s event security to maintain a calm environment.

“Last year we had a lot of security incidents, so this year we got the barricades and we had to get professional security and we had to up the police,” Magallanes said. “We haven’t had any problems today.”

While the event’s increasing popularity led to further security costs, Christianson said it affirms the group’s success in engaging the resi- dents of I.V.

“Every year it gets bigger and that’s our hope,” Christianson said. “We had to get more police and be careful with security, but that’s the whole point of the event — to get as much of the community as possible.”

—Staff Report