UCSB Falls in Straight Sets to Irvine

Facing one of the top teams in the nation, the No. 12 UCSB men’s volleyball team fell in straight sets to UC Irvine Wednesday night in Rob Gym for their third consecutive loss. In their last match of the year at Rob Gym, the Gauchos fell behind Irvine early and could never recover, often switching […]

Ecologists Debate Impact of New Bill’s Restrictions on Otter Habitats

California’s 24th District Representative Elton Gallegly recently introduced the “Military Readiness and Southern Sea Otter Conservation Act” that aims to preserve Southern California’s “No Otter Zone.” The zone prohibits the animals from venturing south of Point Conception near Santa Barbara and interfering with naval activities. The bill, HR 4043, has come under fire by some […]

Campus Burglar Faces Multiple Felony Charges

UCSB Police Department detectives arrested 20-year-old Aaron Brian Ceja, a former UCSB student, as the primary subject in multiple burglaries at Santa Catalina Residence Hall on Feb. 5. The perpetrator, who has been in custody since Feb. 28, admitted responsibility for the crimes while incarcerated and continues to be held in Santa Barbara County Jail, […]

Professor Helps Find Ancient Spherules

UCSB earth science professor emeritus James Kennett and 15 other researchers discovered 13,000-year-old black mat sedimentary deposits believed to be evidence of Earth’s encounters with extraterrestrial materials. The researchers gathered nanodiamond sediments that are unique cosmic collisions from the bottom of Lake Cuitzeo in central Mexico, supporting claims that our planet underwent a galactic rendezvous […]

Russia’s Democratic Protests Allege Election Fraud

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was elected President of Russia for his third term on Sunday with 63.3 percent of the popular vote, sparking major protest movements in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Political science professor Cynthia Kaplan discusses the possibility of election fraud and its effects on Russian democracy with the Daily Nexus. After his one-year […]

Groups’ Events To Foster Pride in Disabled Community

Various campus organizations are collaborating to promote respect and value toward the mentally and developmentally disabled as part of national Learning Disability Awareness Month in March. The university chapters of Best Buddies International and Project Eye-to-Eye, national organizations pairing students with disabled community members, launched a three-day campaign yesterday to alter how people view their […]

New Bakery Opens Downtown

First Picks Management opened Santa Barbara’s first Panera Bread eatery last weekend in La Cumbre Plaza on upper State Street. The popular restaurant chain serves freshly baked breads and offers a mostly organic menu in 1,500 locations nationwide. FPM, a business development organization founded in 2006, partnered with the sandwich franchise to operate its Southern […]

Student’s Federal Suit May Impact UC Admissions

The Supreme Court recently decided to re-examine nationwide affirmative action legislation in light of University of Texas applicant Abigail Fisher’s claim that she was unfairly denied entrance due her non-minority status. The outcome of Fisher v. Texas could potentially counter the court’s 2003 ruling that allowed universities to consider applicants’ ethnicity during the admissions process. […]

Art MFAs Share their Work in On-Campus Show

Last Friday, students and faculty visited Gallery 479 for the closing reception of the first year Studio Art graduate students’ “First Year Review.” The show was up for two weeks, and while it was open to and enjoyed by the public, the purpose and consequences of the show were far-reaching for those involved. After installing […]

‘Entangled’ Premiers at UCSB

Last week, “Entangled,” a new work about sibling relationships and quantum physics by playwright Lila Rose Kaplan, made its world premiere at UCSB’s Hatlen Theater. The play, which follows the intertwined stories of three pairs of siblings at a special twins-only boarding school, was produced through LAUNCH PAD in UCSB’s Theater & Dance Dept. LAUNCH […]