Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Supporters of Multiculturalism Demonstrate Hypocrisy With Criticism of Western World

I’m not an immigrant or a minority; I’m unfamiliar with that experience. However, I am familiar with American culture. Please resist branding me with the choice terms of “racist,” “xenophobic” or “nativist,” and instead entertain a thoughtful critique of U.S. identity politics and how multiculturalism has become destructive to the American identity.

Multiculturalism is not about respecting or celebrating cultural diversity; instead it’s about criticizing Western civilization. This effort is expedited by Western elites, like Susan Sontag, who consider the white race the “cancer of history.” Multiculturalism champions non-Western cultures and fails to discuss the various shortcomings and the singling out of poorly treated minorities within other cultures, while it continually maligns the West as a greedy, cruel, exploitative, war-mongering criminal responsible for all the world’s imperfections.

More concerning are the politics which form the core of multiculturalism — the idea that membership to a group forms the individual in terms of fixed differences from other groups, commonly called identity politics. This contradicts and rejects the core assumptions and principles of our liberal democracy. Our founding and current government is based on the principle of individual, inalienable rights possessed by each individual no matter what religion or culture they belong to. Inalienable rights supersede factors of race or religion or any other socially constructed group characteristic. Multiculturalism confines the individual to boundaries of their minds (or someone else’s) own creation, often simplistically described in terms of generalizations and stereotypes. The newly defined marginalized groups then demand special “rights” and conditions for that group, special treatment based on the assumption that the group has been historically marginalized and is now entitled to reparations of some form.

The fallout from the multiculturalists’ narrative mischaracterizes the facts of history. Western civilization has transferred more freedom and prosperity to more ordinary people, which is why millions of non-Westerners put their lives on the line traveling to Europe and America. Naturally, immigration is where multiculturalism has its most devastating consequences. Even though Americans have not yet seen consequences as extaordinary as those experienced by Europe, which fell hook, line and sinker for the multiculturalists’ victim status, we too have bought into the multicultural narrative, and it has compromised our country’s culture by tampering with immigration system for political expedience.

The traditional immigration model was based on assimilation. Having physically moved to the country, the immigrant voted with his or her feet for the superiority of America. This required the immigrant to become American. This meant learning American English, U.S. history, political practices and parties and cultural traditions that help identify Americans as American. The immigrant of course had the opportunity to not assimilate, but in the end most did in order take full advantage of the political and economic opportunities their new home offered.

Today, many immigrants are taught to embrace a sense of entitlement and resentment that demands society to acknowledge some grievance and repay them. The effect is to divide, not unify, to turn group against group as each tries to out-victimize the other; this is commonly called class warfare. The essence of being an American has been reduced to being “accepting,” ironically hiding the intolerance and anti-Americanism within the different groups multiculturalism elevates.

The end result is the grotesque and peculiar manifestation we see every day, one that would not be tolerated outside the West. People have risked their lives and those of their families to come to America, some illegally, some openly condemning and berating this country and asserting the superiority of their native lands, which failed to support the immigrant and his family initially. Consequently, the average American is mystified and angered by the lack of appreciation and hypocrisy, not to mention the belittling of their country and its history.

Daily Nexus conservative columnist Ben Parish is American, dammit.

22 Responses to Supporters of Multiculturalism Demonstrate Hypocrisy With Criticism of Western World

1. Jeffrey Moualim Reply

July 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

MASQUERADE

The party is over. A celebration that began with the election in 2008 of a young dynamic president who promised change and a new dawn in American politics is now a pipe dream. We stand 2 ½ years later in the ruins of false hopes and broken dreams. A new era was to begin post racial, bi-partisan, and a unity to right an economic ship that collided with the great recession that began under President Bush. A nation of people looking for stability and restoration not the continuation of failed policies and Washington gridlock .The opportunity and the moment were there to be seized but our grip melted as despair replaced optimism.

This divide that continues to widen every day has been a calculated goal of the G.O.P since the first champagne corks were popped and people raised their expectations that this time, finally things might be different. But the Republican party, the right wing, and ultimately the Tea party were not interested in the melody of cooperation and the greater good. Their agenda was set from day one and with the pronouncement from senate minority leader Mitch McConnell that his number one priority was to make President Obama a one term president the damper on this soiree began. Senator McConnell showed that the economy, jobs , health care or the environment were a distant second place to the number one goal of not just trying to defeat Obama in 2012 but build a wall of negation to anything and everything the President proposed.

So as 2009 unfolded and President Obama unveiled a health care proposal that would bring pragmatic solutions for the un-insured and tackle in part the rising costs of medicine today, he was met with a barrage of misinformation and disingenuous behavior from the Republicans. From Sarah Palin talking of death panels and killing grandma to calling Obama a socialist with the intent of destroying capitalism as we know it in this country all of us witnessed a bitter and totally unnecessary battle that led only to confusion and animosity.

At the same time we also saw rise to a group of people who prompted by prejudice and preconceived ideas began (with right wing support and funds) a movement on the premise and predilection that they (like the colonists under British rule over 200 years ago) through protest and banishing a gun wanted the government to lower or eliminate taxes. Though their initial methods of carrying signs with Obama portrayed as Hitler or a monkey seemed hardly a protest for just the federal tax system. For in essence the behavior that most people did not want dredged from the past was being acted out now by the tea party as a petulant child might. And from birthers, to people who believed Obama was a Muslim, to the republicans who made it very clear that they felt Obama was un-American our nation was once again thrown into the pit of ignorance and xenophobia. The gains and strides we had made as a nation in race relations now seemed as out of focus as the mirrors in a fun house.

In 2010 a midterm election buoyed by an economy that was slow in turning around and a public that was fed a daily dose of falsehoods and innuendo from right wing talk radio, Fox news and the G.OP created an atmosphere that led to a retaking of the house by them with many of the new faces tea party candidates. The tea party winners had talked

during their campaign about jobs and fixing the economy and with their mask of patriotism and constitution in hand convinced a restless and discontented public of their sincerity. The desperation and exasperation the voters felt for Washington gave the Tea party the foothold it needed and from the halls of congress, to many state legislators, or governorships a wave of new party goers arrived. Yet jobs and economy were not their first order of business. In fact that issue for the most part has taken a back seat to anti-abortion legislation, prohibition of gay marriage, the definition of rape, collective bargaining rights by unions, and voter suppression of the young, the poor, and minorities. This party had truly become a masquerade party and now they have saved the best for last.

Since May of this year two words have been uttered more then at anytime in our history “debt ceiling”. A standard procedure (a Bush economic aide in 2002 had called “housekeeping by the congress) of raising the debt ceiling that has been done by many presidents democrat and republican (seven times under George W Bush) was no being used as leverage by the Republican party to extract spending cuts on social programs. These programs that were basically started by Democratic presidents and congress were now the target of a Tea Party who advocated for economic austerity yet really wanted to redefine how government in this country should work for all citizens. And if they could not get their way they were willing to paralyze Washington and impact the fragile U.S. economy. they were in favor of us defaulting for the first time in our history on the nation’s debt. And despite the consequences of a default to the national and economic security that almost every single expert espoused the Tea party does not believe there is a real cause for concern and the effect it could have on a majority of this countries citizens. In the end the only thing that really matters for them is their ideology steeped in hatred

for a black president and growing minority of people in this country who were not white, not Christian, and not as intransigent as they are.

So yes the party is over and the Republicans/Tea party have taken off their masks. And whether in the light of day or the dimly lit rooms they gather their appearance is diaphanous and their dis-compassionate rhetoric contributes to the sounds of a nihilistic madness that pervade us today.

2. Jeffrey R Moualim Reply

July 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

TIME MACHINE
    In 1895 H.G. Wells wrote the the classic science fiction tale “The Time Machine” The ingenious
    concept of being able to travel through time as one moves through space and see a future
    that has been destined to take place by the current actions of the present.
    America at the turn of the 20th century was in a state of political flux and tumult. Industry was
    rapidly gaining an enormous presence not only in our economy but in the political influence
    it could wield on its own behalf. The gap between the “Haves” and the “Have Nots” was growing
    exponentially with workers forced into low paying, long hour jobs while Industry leaders
    were reaping record profits with no intention of rewarding their work force accordingly.
    And with “the fabric of society” being threatened by anarchists (including the assassination of
    President William McKinley in 1901) civil liberties would take a back seat especially when it came to
    union protests for better wages, shorter hours per day, and safe working conditions.
    Capitalism (especially unfettered capitalism) was proving to be a “winner take all” economy that
    served only the few and left the many in a post industrial revolution serfdom.
    The protagonist In Wells’s book an English scientist would travel past 800,000 AD to land
    in a time almost unrecognizable from his own. But if we (with apologizes to Mr Wells) changed
    his time traveler to an American who only went to the year 2011 would he find this country
    quite different or yet all too familiar? Would he feel we had made progress or see the continued
    prevarication of the truth, political dogma with no compromise in sight, and a nation who after
    more then 100 years struggles to bring economic equality to a majority of its citizens and not just the
    privileged few. And would the idea that compassion and the once conservative thought that “a rising
    tide lifts all boats” be in fashion or looked upon as socialist conspiracy to rob the freedom of the
    wealthy and the well to do.
    Unfortunately our time traveler could have saved himself the trouble of journeying to our time
    because the political landscape of today mirrors in many ways a time he would have left behind.
    We are in the midst of a war of economic wills by both parties. The raising of the debt ceiling,
    cutting the deficit, creating new jobs for the millions who are unemployed. Housing once the
    bedrock of financial independence and security is crumbling. The middle class boosted as
    Economist Robert Reich often states by the greatest economic recovery between 1945 to 1970
    now has seen in the last 30 years their salaries flat line, their investments falter because of reckless
    traders who are severely under-regulated and medical costs skyrocket forcing many into bankruptcy
    While most modern countries around the globe provide quality affordable health care to all its citizens
    as a basic right.
    The Republicans would have us believe a nostrum of choices to improve the economy that are
    inherently flawed and cumulatively false. Time and time again we have been told by every economist
    that raising the debt ceiling is not an option like ordering fish instead of steak on a menu.
    It is a vital necessity and is not setting any new precedent for this president or congress.
    And the alternative is not only fraught with peril but could have disastrous consequences to an already
    jobless recovering economy.
    The prices of homes continue to fall and foreclosures continue to maintain a deleterious rate
    even while the major Banks are being investigated for mortgage fraud. Yet the Republicans
    will fight tooth and nail against more stringent regulations to protect the homeowner from losing
    (for most) his largest asset.
    And the very idea of providing health insurance in a “medi-care for all approach” is treated
    by the right and the tea party as an all out attack on capitalism and a sure sign that government
    wants to control all commerce in this country. When in reality it is the insurance corporations
    that have “governed” their clients with a despotic hand.
    And sadly although we still have a two party system and the Democrats are more intent on protecting
    the poor and the middle class, Republicans and lobbyists neutralize effective compromise and
    progressive legislation.
    So our 19th century time traveler will have come a long way for nothing. Just as in his time
    he will find an America where industry continues to create a wide schism between the owner
    and the worker. He will see one political party that uses its power for deregulation while the other
    party seems ineffective to balance the scales.
    Moreover he will confront the harsh reality that the politicians of today have learned little or nothing
    from the past and attributes of greed and influence not only go unchecked for the most part but are
    actually glorified as American exceptional ism.
    What our American traveler will take back is not the optimism of a better and more educated
    world but rather a pessimism that no matter how much time passes ignorance and corruption
    remain timeless.

3. Jeffrey R Moualim Reply

July 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm

BABY YOU’VE COME A LONG WAY?
    The journey for women in this country indeed for women in the world has been a
    long and arduous one. We saw in the early 20th century women gaining the right
    to vote,entering the work force in much greater numbers, and becoming not only
    politically active but a coherent force in the politics and policy of the United States.
    Around the globe women in many countries have made sizable gains in human rights
    and economic upward mobility. Sadly there are a significant amount of countries
    where not only have women not made strides in personal freedoms but have not been
    kept out of harms way. Radical regimes with unbending social and religious beliefs
    have turned back the pages, to a time where a woman fears for her life and safety just
    for being a woman.
    So the question if women have come such a long way why is the distance left
    to travel so far and at times seem so unattainable.
    Looking at the problems they face in America may provide much of the answer.
    “Christianity’s Today” reported earlier this year that the speaker of the house John
    Boehner wants to be the most pro-life speaker ever in our history
    Americans for life chose Mr Boehner has its 2010 “Defender of life award”.
    And the theme for this year March of life is “ Thou shalt protect the equal rights
    of each innocent born and pre-born human in existence from fertilization.
    No exception, No Compromise”
    The pronouncement by Speaker Boehner and the ideology espoused by
    groups who promote the March of Life continue with their ignorance and hypocrisy
    to make the female gender of this country a “second class citizen” and we
    proudly define ourselves as an example to the world for freedom with protection for all.
    Provided by our constitution and our legal system for basic human rights
    If we are to believe that the United States is the shining city on the hill as the
    late President Ronald Reagen said many times then the lights are growing dimmer
    and the fires of freedom are flickering.
    While one cannot fail to mention the inherent hypocrisy of Republicans and the religious
    right who intend to prevent abortion but support cuts in spending for pregnant
    mothers,nutrition for children living in poverty, and education
    to allow each young person to have a chance for the American dream.
    Or states like Kansas or South Dakota where abortion providers have been driven out
    with violence, like the murder of Dr George Tiller making it almost impossible for a
    woman to
    receive an abortion.
    And state legislatures with Republican majorities around this country driven in a
    fanatical frenzy not to help their states economy or unemployment, or other pressing
    issues for the electorate but
    rather trying to pass bills that push Roe v Wade into total obscurity and oblivion.
    This despite the fact that Roe v Wade is the “Law” of the land.
    While our nation struggles with the debate over abortion and its humanity we have
    lost the underlying and more important issue. A woman’s right to choose.
    For if freedom has true meaning a woman in the United States must have the basic
    human right to decide if ending a pregnancy is the right thing for her as a individual.
    When a decision to terminate a pregnancy is considered ( a decision
    that most agree they never want to ever have to make) it is that individual
    carrying a fetus who is at the greatest risk, will have the greatest responsibility
    in caring for a possible baby, and will suffer the most pain from this tragic circumstance.
    If as many on the right claim that government is to intrusive in the lives of
    the citizens of our country and that individual freedoms are to be cherished
    then it also must be true that the “decision of a lifetime” and a “potential life” made
    by an individual woman is not clouded by antiquated religious dogma or male
    politicians trying to score points with their political base.
    For the woman this crossroad in her life must be crossed alone.
    If America is to be ubiquitous in its message for basic human rights and individual
    freedom as it goes forth in the world, then it must ensure that over 50%
    of its own population is given the trust and dignity to make this choice for themselves
    and not be swayed by the doctrines of superstition or the preconceived ideas
    of the uneducated.

4. Jeffrey R Moualim Reply

July 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

WHISKY IN THE JAR
    The snake oil sales men have had a revival.
    The republicans (in particular Governor Scott Walker of
    Wisconsin) have concocted a new potion that he sells
    now on a daily basis
    .Its called fiscal responsibility
    and they claim it will cure what ails us.
    And you will see in the coming months other sales man
    popping up in other states around the country.
    All with the same message that the economy is sick and the
    only cure is the drastic measure of forcing the working men
    and women to take their “Medicine” and accept less wages,
    less benefits and most of all less power at the negotiating
    table.
    Yet in trying to repair a broken leg their solution is
    amputation and their diagnosis must stand no matter
    the cost to the “body” American unions who have for
    over 100 years fought for livable wages, safety
    in the work place, and retirement security.
    Remember these are working people, Nurses, Teachers
    Fire Fighters and Police who take on some of the most
    difficult jobs in society, caring for the ill, educating our
    children and protecting all of us. They are providing
    a service that is vital to our society and is open to anyone
    who wishes to be employed by the government.
    For many people these are duties that they prefer others do
    for they simply do not have the compassion and fortitude
    to perform them on a daily basis.
    These are also Men and Women who wake up every day
    working for all of us so we can do our jobs without worrying
    how our cities and states will continue to function.
    WE are more productive and more progressive as a
    nation when our infrastructure is sound and they people
    who operate it our shown genuine appreciation.
    We lose when dogmatic politicians “force feed”
    a political agenda that “chokes” the very work force
    we depend on in good times and bad.
    The republicans will continue like all snake oil salesman
    to over state their message of financial Armageddon
    to scare the public into believing that the only solution
    to federal and state budget crisis’s is forcing the public worker
    to accept more authoritarian control and less organizing
    freedom.
    But like all sales man they have no answers when confronted
    by facts and once we sip from that jar the taste of hypocrisy
    will have all of us singing there is
    “WHISKY IN THE JAR

LETS REMEMBER ON THE 4TH OF JULY TRUE PATRIOTISM IS NOT ONLY WAVING THE FLAG BUT REMEMBERING THOSE WHO PERISHED DEFENDING IT SO ALL OF US
    COULD HAVE THE CHANCE AT THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS NOT JUST THE PRIVELEGED FEW.

5. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm

pebbles. you need help with your textual analysis. you’re missing a bit here

6. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I can’t see why the Marshall plan (how long did that go on–a decade during some part of our huge history) has more significance to you as a part of history rather than the 500 years of systematic killing of American Indians and the enslavement of African Americans. And when will white guys stop telling the history and give the people who lived it a chance? Different perspectives are necessary. Whether someone is going to kill in the name of god or as an atheist doesn’t matter. It comes down to humanity. Unfortunate that badly educated Americans aren’t a minority.

7. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

“Over-entitled darkies” is a fiction, btw, thus the use of the term. I’m making fun of this idiotic piece.

8. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

We can remove “Whites” and put “Americans” since that’s how the “opinion” piece reads.

9. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm

A better title for the article would be “Ignorant Whites Can’t Grasp Basic Facts”.

10. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Islam, Christianity. What’s the idea of an almighty or any god have to do with the mistreatment of human groups. This editorial is drivel.

11. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Well, you went to different american schools than I did. I learned mostly about white america.

the ahahhahaha is because minority peoples who have been denied their rights to marry, property, I could go on and on have not received compensation. Who said anything about racism. I’m laughing at the quote because of its incredible inaccuracy. The entire article is so full of shit how can you not laugh?

12. pebbles Reply

May 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I was responding to Morethanu’s comment about “over entitled darkies”, Arafat.

13. Arafat Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

pebbles, fyi Islam is not a race. It’s a religion.

One reason it’s not a race is because wherever it has conquered people, Islam has forcibly converted those people to Islam. This includes southern Asians who look very little like Arabs, black Africans (who, btw, are being killed by Arab-looking Muslims in Sudan because they are not Arab-lokking enough), people from the Caucus region, etc…

Does this help you understand why it’s impossible to dislike Islam and not be a racist?

14. Arafat Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:05 am

Morethanu, you don’t have to spend the rest of your life apologizing for Islam. There are options, such as telling the truth.

>>The Muslim Game:

Bringing other religions down to the level of Islam is one of the most popular strategies of Muslim apologists when confronted with the spectacle of Islamic violence. Remember Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber? Why pick on Islam if other religions have the same problems?

The Truth:

Because they don’t.

Regardless of what his birth certificate may or may not have said, Timothy McVeigh was not a religious man (in fact, he stated explicitly that he was agnostic). At no time did he credit his deeds to religion, quote Bible verses, or claim that he killed for Jesus. His motives are very well documented through interviews and research. God is never mentioned.

The so-called “members of other faiths” alluded to by Muslims are nearly always just nominal members who have no active involvement. They are neither inspired by, nor do they credit religion as Muslim terrorists do – and this is what makes it a very different matter.

Islam is associated with Islamic terrorism because that is the association that the terrorists themselves choose to make.

Muslims who compare crime committed by people who happen to be nominal members of other religions to religious terror committed explicitly in the name of Islam are comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, some of the abortion clinic bombers were religious (as Muslims enjoy pointing out), but consider the scope of the problem. There have been six deadly attacks over a 36 year period in the U.S. Eight people died. This is an average of one death every 4.5 years.

By contrast, Islamic terrorists staged nearly ten thousand deadly attacks in just the six years following September 11th, 2001. If one goes back to 1971, when Muslim armies in Bangladesh began the mass slaughter of Hindus, through the years of Jihad in the Sudan, Kashmir and Algeria, and the present-day Sunni-Shia violence in Iraq, the number of innocents killed in the name of Islam probably exceeds five million over this same period.

In the last six years, there have been perhaps a dozen or so religiously-inspired killings by people of all other faiths combined. No other religion produces the killing sprees that Islam does nearly every day of the year. Neither do they have verses in their holy texts that arguably support it. Nor do they have large groups across the globe dedicated to the mass murder of people who worship a different god, as the broader community of believers struggles with ambivalence and tolerance for a radical clergy that supports the terror.

Muslims may like to pretend that other religions are just as subject to “misinterpretation” as is their “perfect” one, but the reality speaks of something far worse.<<

15. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:00 am

“The fallout from the multiculturalists’ narrative mischaracterizes the facts of history.”

This is pretty sad. Our history courses need to stop brainwashing these white kids in thinking that native american genocide and african american lynching is not a part of american history. native american and african american sure sound american to me.

I feel really badly that someone with this screwed up of a perspective actually made it to college. Makes me sad for how effed his parents probably are.

• pebbles Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

“Our history courses need to stop brainwashing these white kids in thinking that native american genocide and african american lynching is not a part of american history.”

Increasingly, these are the only things taught in history courses. The extent to which professors claim they are expressing an “alternative narrative” of history is staggering, because it is the singular narrative that is ever discussed in university lecture halls.

Our American series at UCSB is even referred to as “The American People”, based on writings from Ivy scholars claiming to speak for a personified “society”. You can go through the entire series without ever hearing about the Federalist Papers or the Marshall Plan.

• UCSBHistory'11 Reply

May 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm

You obviously have not taken Hist 17A or 17C. I have been assigned George Kennan’s “Long Telegram” (blueprint for Containment) in multiple classes and have written multiple papers on Constitutional arguments between the Framers using the Federalist Papers

• pebbles Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:57 pm

All three of them actually. If your instructors assigned such material then amen to that, you’re luckier than I was in ’06. The only paper with a specified topic was to interview a family member about the Vietnam War, the others were all on a “topic of your own choosing,” in consultation with the T.A. B didn’t even have a paper, just three bluebook exams and one of them didn’t count.

16. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

Or the huge King Kong on the rooftop, Christianity.

17. Morethanu Reply

May 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

I wouldn’t say its “responsible for all the world’s imperfections.”

The guy is getting race mixed up with being an American.

“Today, many immigrants are taught to embrace a sense of entitlement and resentment that demands society to acknowledge some grievance and repay them.” hahahahhahahahahahahhaah, I can’t stop laughing at this part. ahahhahaah, omg, hahhahahahahahahahhahahahhaa. Yeah, someone stop this practice to those over-entitled darkies. hahahahahahhahahahahah.

• pebbles Reply

May 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

Love this tactic. “HAHA, I will say something racist and then pretend that’s what the other person said.”

18. Arafat Reply

May 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

Let’s not ignore the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. Islam.