ONLINE UPDATE: Protests Escalate at UCSF Regents Meeting

San Francisco – Amidst growing expectations that the Regents will approve an eight percent student tuition increase tomorrow, at least six students have been arrested for protesting.

Dozens more protesters were pepper sprayed outside of the UCSF Mission Bay conference center, barely three hours into today’s meeting. No UCSB students were arrested.

UPDATE: 11:15 a.m.

A police officer reportedly pulled out a sidearm on unarmed protesters around 10 a.m. when he was cornered against a wall outside the conference.

UPDATE: 1:10 p.m.

Earlier reports of a sidearm being pulled on protesters has been confirmed by University of California San Fransisco Chief of Police Pamela Roskowski.

As of 1:00 p.m. 13 individuals, including 11 students have been arrested.

UPDATE: 1:44 p.m.

A student from UC Santa Cruz has been arrested on felony charges for assault with a deadly weapon.

According to UC Police, the crowd outside the Mission Bay center reached about 300 people at the height of protests mid-morning. Around 10 a.m., an officer outside of the conference was rushed by protesters and dropped his baton, which was picked up by a UCSC student who proceeded to hit the officer with it. The officer then pulled out his sidearm but did not fire and the UCSC student was arrested.

The other 12 arrests made today were misdemeanors.

UPDATE: 2:50 p.m.

The board has approved a change of the term “fee” to “tuition” unanimously.

Erika Martin and Maane Khatchatourian reported on this story from San Francisco.

6 Responses to ONLINE UPDATE: Protests Escalate at UCSF Regents Meeting

1. David Colleen Reply

November 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’m glad that the police were there. I was pushed around by three protesters this morning after they blocked me from driving down the street. The protesters seem to think that they can deprive me of my rights to exercise their free speech. This is selfish and wrong of them.

Last week, I voted to raise taxes for education. After dealing with these protester thugs, I wonder why I bothered.

2. Allen Earnhart Reply

November 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Hello ,
    I found your site on bing.
    It is very nice. Good job, keep this site alive.
    Thank you

Best wishes

3. Leslie Messara Reply

November 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm

They say they are broke so…there’s no other way but they have to raise the fees.When you visit somebody’s home and they are tight on money..it shows everywhere.At UCSB,it doesn’t show one bit.Last spring,they were paying private contractors to cut the dead branches on palm trees near the Brenn building and Lagoon road.They did work on this for weeks.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.Now,they have peoples repainting the Theater and Dance East building.They have been there for weeks.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.They had the parking lot near HSSB resurfaced a few weeks ago.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.They had the Francisco Torres parking lot resurfaced lately.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.They did build a new hot house that they haven’t even used yet while there’s already an whole bunch of those old hot houses that aren’t even use.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.They are doing huge landscaping work near the lagoon.Very important work to do in a cash strap situation.Also,every single days you see those guys trimming the lawn like it’s a golf green.There’s tons of money thrown through the window in maintaining the landscape.There was many spots where they were covered with bushes that needed absolutely no maintenance(and probably not much water either).What they did.They did pull them out and replaced them with grass where every week,they have to pay somebody to maintain them.They did pay a guy to paint a little white spot and then mark a black number on the very numerous holes and bumps there are here and there in the sidewalks.It’s been such a long time ago that now more than half the spots are erased…what’s the point to spend money on this and not completing the job?And when they do that job(they did early summer before the rich parents came to the graduation of their kid)they hired a guy with a little hand buffer to scrape off the bumps.The guy is there for hours removing a bump that would take just a few minute with the adequate machine.

4. wil Reply

November 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

stay in college for a long time you will last about ten minutes in the real world.

• Klaus Nordmeyer Reply

November 18, 2010 at 9:08 am

Would that be the “real world” where Wall Street criminals give themselves million dollar bonuses, while working people can’t find jobs and are kicked out of their homes?

5. Peter Tscherneff Reply

November 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I arrived around 11:30…..most protesters were gone….I spoke w 3 groups of students………we spoke of the ONLY TRUE OPTION to ceasing the insanity both here and nationwide….The Great California General Strike for FREEDOM……….to free Jamal and Leonard Peltier. the maligned Mexican Migrant workers ( with a workable solution for work for everyone utilizing the South LA Urban Gardens “BLUEPRINT”

In front of several students I addressed 7-8 officers saying “Police Officers ! Since you work for us please go immediately upstairs and arrest the REGENTS for malfeasance, misappropriation of funds, thievery
    and treason ” ! They looked for a moment then sort of laughed where-upon I advised them that the very same “Usurist Bankers” behind all this screwing the students are similarly screwing you officers as well….got them thinking…I further advised the officers to netsearch Officer Jack McLamb’s “Vampire Killer” and so too Oathkeepers which like McLambs’ “Aid and Abet” is geared to educating military personnel/veterans and Law Enforcement to honor their Constitutional Oath of Office and to be a part of powerfully supportive group AGAINST POLICE CORRUPTION and ABUSE within the military. My site is …myspace.com/peterpeace1…….hope you’ll give it a look and share w others thnx…peter