At the 19th annual Reel Loud Film Festival, movies have the right to remain silent.

Tickets for the showcase of student-produced silent films — scheduled for May 28 in Campbell Hall —go on sale today. As part of publicity efforts this year, event organizers and participants will appear on campus today dressed in costumes to match the festival’s “Wonderland” theme.

[media-credit name=”Photo Courtesy of UCSB Student Affairs” align=”alignleft” width=”250″][/media-credit]

The Reel Loud Film Festival is an annual film festival that showcases silent films accompanied by live music and performers. The festival also features student theater, dance, artwork and music.

Publicity Coordinator Cassi Garcia, a second-year film studies major, said the festival hosts a collection of short silent films every year that are complimented by live music and artwork.

“In short, Reel Loud is an awesome festival where the films are silent but the night is loud,” Garcia said in an e-mail. “This festival showcases short silent films, accompanied by live music and performers. The event showcases different mediums of student artwork including film, theater, dance, artwork, and music.”

Each of the films submitted for the festival must be shot on 16mm stock and include an original soundtrack. Many of the silent films — which usually run six to seven minutes long — are also accompanied by live musical performances.

According to Garcia, Reel Loud promoters decided not to advertise in a traditional manner this year.

“First thing, I wanted to do things more outside of regular postering and stuff like that,” Garcia said. “We wanted something that will get the public interested and really intrigued about what we are, what we do.”

Starting today, tickets go on sale at Social Sciences and Media Studies 2433 and the Associated Students Ticket Office for $10. Tickets will cost $12 at the door.

A portion of the proceeds will be donated to UCSB’s Counseling and Career Services.