Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

News

UCSB Dining Services Leads Charge to Go Green

UCSB Housing & Residential Services will host environmentally friendly events all week long in honor of national Campus Sustainability Day.

According to Bruce Tiffney, co-chair of the chancellor’s sustainability committee, UCSB Dining Services will be hosting the majority of the events because the facility is especially active in the green movement. In fact, all campus dining commons have recently implemented trayless dining in an attempt to reduce waste.

Moreover, Bonnie Crouse, assistant director of Residential Dining Services, said the facility’s other sustainable projects include increasing local food purchases as well as creating a compost initiative. According to Crouse, UCSB is reducing its carbon footprint by purchasing locally grown organic crops, as well as fish that are trapped sustainably.

However, Crouse said eliminating the use of trays from the dining experience has been one of Housing & Residential Services’ most successful ventures to date.

“Trayless dining is showing great results as far as saving,” Crouse said. “[There has been] a huge reduction in the amount of food waste.”

Not only does the new project reduce each person’s average food waste, but it also conserves water and energy that would otherwise be used for washing purposes. Crouse said people are even decreasing their amount of food consumption, as they can only carry so many bowls and dishes at a time.

A.S. Recycling will be among the many student groups contributing to this week’s events. Recycling Program Coordinator Ryan Kintz said the group intends to increase the use of sustainable practices by educating students about recycling techniques.

“More education will lead to better results,” Kintz said, adding that he hopes the efforts will improve UCSB’s performance in RecycleMania, a nationwide recycling contest between college campuses promoting waste reduction activities.

Moreover, Tiffney said Southern California Edison is offering the school a $17 million grant to monitor and improve energy consumption on campus. Tiffney said she urges the student body to remember that efforts to go green can be made at all levels.

“Ultimately, sustainability is about individual behavior,” Tiffney said.

Note:

In an effort to combat spam, comments that include links must be manually approved. Comments will generally be approved in under an hour depending on the time that they are submitted.

Please do not submit correction requests in the comments section as comments are not reviewed regularly. Correction requests submitted this way therefore may not be noticed for weeks at a time. Please submit all correction requests to eic@dailynexus.com or to the editor of the section in which the story in question appears.