Last week, over 600 students participated in the Greek system’s annual Fall rush.

The week-long recruitment process was hosted by the eight fraternities and 10 sororities that make up the Interfraternity and Collegiate Panhellenic Councils. In total, 490 students accepted bids to join either a fraternity or sorority. Of that, nearly 75 percent of the bids went to ladies looking to join a sorority.

Not all Greek organizations in Isla Vista, however, are formally recognized by the university. Prior to rush, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Michael Young notified the campus via e-mail that the fraternities Pi Kappa Alpha and Lambda Phi Epsilon had lost their formal campus recognition. In the e-mail, he discouraged students from joining Greek organizations that are unrecognized and unregulated by the university.

Members of Pi Kappa Alpha and Lambda Phi Epsilon were unavailable for comment.

According to the Office of Greek Affairs, 356 women completed the recruitment process, of which 354 accepted bids to sororities. Roughly 300 men participated as well, with 136 accepting the 215 bids handed out.

The addition of new members to each house brings the Greek population at UCSB to an estimated 10 percent of the total student body.

Janelle Henderson, a fourth-year psychology major and Alpha Chi Omega vice president of recruitment, said the sororities have been working closely with Panhellenic members since January to plan the rush process.

“It’s strange to spend nine months working on something that is over in five days,” Henderson said.

Berlyn Springer, a third-year psychology major and the Panhellenic vice president of recruitment, said the months of planning were worth the new member classes.

“The sororities and the Panhellenic Council were getting ready by working long sleepless nights and everything went really well,” Springer said. “Thanks to the approximately 400 women who entered the Panhellenic sorority system, I have a positive outlook on the future of the Greek system.”

Addison Smith, Interfraternity Council President, said he too was happy with the turnout, which he said was larger than in years past.

“Even though there are four less fraternities this year than last fall, each house recruited more men per house than last year’s rush,” Smith, a third-year film & media studies major, said. “I wish everyone who was recruited has a great time in their respective houses, and I would like to thank all the houses for their cooperation and IFC for putting on a successful rush.”

New members can look forward to a number of events in the upcoming year, including philanthropic events put on by both sororities and fraternities to raise money for their respective charities, sisterhood and brotherhood events, community service opportunities such as beach cleanups and co-ed intramural sports teams and Greek Week, which unites the entire Greek system by fundraising for a particular organization.

Other Greek organizations such as the National Panhellenic Council and multicultural fraternities and sororities will conduct rush throughout the quarter.

With Rush Week said and done, Henderson said that seeing the new members makes the months of effort worthwhile.

“When you get the new member class,” she said, “you see how much they can contribute to your chapter and all that time and effort is completely worth it.”