The UCSB men’s and women’s swimming teams cruised past conference rival UC Davis on Saturday afternoon at Campus Pool, the men winning 168-94 and the women winning 154.5-87.5.

The victories give the men’s team a 4-1 dual record and put the women at 5-2 for the season.

Before the match, Gaucho Head Coach Gregg Wilson expressed concern over Aggie junior Scott Weltz, one of the NCAA’s top eight swimmers that Wilson believed would potentially take first in three events.

However, Gaucho junior Joe Plume stole first in the 200 freestyle, finishing with a time of 1:40.85. Weltz came in second at 1:41.98. In the 200-yard breaststroke, Weltz finished fourth behind Gaucho junior Travis Jepson, Gaucho senior Jeff Sudbury and Aggie sophomore Kyle Anderson. After Plume’s upset, Weltz only finished first in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:52.91, followed by Gaucho senior Chris Good’s 1:53.30. Good finished first in the 100 and 200 backstroke events, with times of 51.27 and 1:50.29.

“Joe’s win took a lot of wind out of [Davis’] sails,” Wilson said to Gaucho Athletics. “He stood up and just nailed it.”

Wilson also worried about the Gaucho’s performance in long distance events, but sophomores Lindsay Gaudinier and Kelsey Lewis took first and second in the 1000 freestyle with times of 10:18.01 and 10:34.27, respectively. For the men’s team, Gaucho freshman Ethan Bradley finished third in the event, with a time of 9:35.15.

In the first event of the day, the Gaucho women’s 200 medley “B” team of freshman Kendall Neely, juniors Naomi Javanifard and Courtney Bauer and sophomore Sara Nicponski finished first with 1:47.03, followed by the Gauchos’ 200 medley “A” Team. Javanifard also took the 100 backstroke with a time of 58.42 – over two seconds ahead of Aggie sophomore Rebecca Koch, whose time of 1:00.69 clinched second place in the event. The men’s “A” team of Ferguson, junior Danny McClary and seniors Sudbury and Bradley Matsumuto also took first with a time of 1:31.81. Matsumoto also took first in the 50 freestyle and second in the 100 freestyle, following Gaucho sophomore Dan Morris, whose time of 46.50 beat Matsumoto’s by .08 seconds.

Aggie junior Heidi Kucera took first place in the 200 freestyle, 200 breaststroke and 400 IM. Gaucho junior Anne Marie May once again finished first in the 50 and 100 freestyle events.

The Gauchos’ next match will be on Jan. 31 against UNLV in Las Vegas.