Prop 8 might not have passed (thanks a lot, Central California), but Santa Barbara still knows how to have a gay old time. Tonight at UCSB’s Multicultural Center, SB’s annual LGBTQ film festival, Outrageous!, kicks off with a free slate of short films that begins at 8.

The festival, which has been running since 1991, runs through Sunday, Nov. 9, and is known for its lively following from the community as well as its diverse selection of programming. Gone are the Hollywood depictions of gays as one-note stereotypes, minor supporting characters or cruel punchlines: You see queer love stories, coming-of-age tales and memorable comedies, all revolving around LGBTQ protagonists.

There’s not a dull moment among the film’s bright lineup: There’s “Were the World Mine,” billed on the festival’s Web site as “the REAL gay high school musical;” the German period piece, “Four Minutes,” about a love affair between a pianist and her teacher in Nazi Germany; and “To Each His Own,” a documentary about the decades-long relationship between writer Christopher Isherwood and artist Don Bachardy, who were separated in age by 36 years. In many cases, the films’ actors and crew will be on hand.

And, unlike the area’s other major annual film festival, the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, Outrageous is a lot more feasible for students to attend, as tickets to individual screenings are only $10 a piece (and a pass to the entire festival is available for $75). Be sure to go early, because screenings often sell out.

The festival’s other screenings will be held downtown on State Street at the Metro 4 Theatres, but you should check out the event’s Web site (www.outrageousfilmfestival.org) for the complete program and additional information.