In an effort to call attention to healthy hearts, members of Congress are asked to shed their normal business attire today and throw on their favorite red shirt in support of new legislation this Valentine’s Day.

In coordination with the Congressional Caucus for Women’s Issues, 23rd District Representative Lois Capps, whose constituency includes Isla Vista, recently penned a resolution to recognize Feb. 1 as National Wear Red Day to support of women with heart disease, according to a press release. To bolster involvement in the cause, the caucus is encouraging members of the House to wear their favorite red accessories on Valentine’s Day.

The heart-oriented legislation – a part of the caucus’ wider plan to better recognize and treat heart disease in women – is expected to pass with broad bipartisan support. In a press release, Capps said she is pleased that the caucus is addressing important issues like heart disease and stroke, but also said more focus is needed on the matter.

“I am proud that our caucus is taking the lead in drawing much needed attention to these two leading causes of death – heart disease and stroke – that claim far too many American lives each year,” Capps said.

Additionally, Capps said that her experience as a nurse has helped her recognize that prevention is the best medicine, and it should be used tackle these illnesses. She also said that the women’s caucus’ full efforts are focused on finding solutions.

“As a nurse, I know that public awareness is vital to our efforts to prevent heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases and to improving survival rates for cardiovascular disease,” Capps said. “This resolution and our participation in National Wear Red Day are an important part of our caucus’ ongoing efforts to fight these deadly diseases.”

Congresswoman Barbara Cubin, R-Wyo., a member of the Congressional Caucus for Women’s Issues, also said in the press release that the magnitude of cardiovascular diseases in women is often ignored. She said she hopes for a future in which women are safe from the risk of heart attack.

“Nationwide, [cardiovascular diseases] claim the lives of nearly 500,000 American women annually,” Cubin said. “This means that every minute our nation loses a wife, a friend, a daughter or a mother. With increased awareness and better prevention, I am confident America’s future generations of women will not have to fear the dangers of cardiovascular disease.”