The 2006-07 Associated Students Legislative Council held its first full meeting yesterday to discuss various resolutions, including one asking the University of California Regents to sever ties with two research laboratories.

The council passed resolutions supporting this Sunday’s Chilla Vista festival, students affected by recent immigration laws and Alternative 2 of the Isla Vista Master Plan. The council also passed a resolution supporting the South Central Farmers.

The Leggies tabled a resolution that encourages the UC Regents to sever relations with the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which among its research, develops nuclear technology and weapons.

University-Owned Housing Rep Amanda Burlingame said she needed more time to consider the issue.

“I don’t know if I’d support it,” Burlingame said of the resolution. “Nuclear weapons have done some things in the past that aren’t necessarily bad.”

Besides discussing the laboratories resolution, Leggies passed a resolution supporting residents in South Central Los Angeles who use a several-acre patch of land as a garden in which to grow their food. Off-campus Rep Jeronimo Saldana said if not stopped, developers will soon build a warehouse on the land.

Council members approved the resolution with 14 in favor, three opposing and three abstaining.

The resolution claims the issue is relevant because the majority of UCSB students are from the Los Angeles area, and because it is the responsibility of Leg Council to protect the rights and interests of students, communities and families.

On-campus Rep Scarlet Chan said the resolution makes a difference in the lives of underrepresented minority groups on campus.

“This is a student issue that doesn’t affect all students, but some of them,” Chan said.

However, Rep-at-Large J.P. Slauenwhite argued that the issue oversteps the boundaries of Leg Council responsibilities.

“I’m very conflicted on this,” he said. “This is probably not something we should, as a legislative body, be doing. … I feel we are kind of overstepping our bounds.”