Looking for cheap, yet flavorsome and healthy food options near home and school? Well, look no further. Azolan Clarke, a student here at UCSB, has created a quick, but successful quick business straight out of his apartment room. 

Photo Courtesy of Azolan Clarke

Clarke is a third-year environmental science and political science double major who is focusing on environmental policy and justice. He had a soft opening on Nov. 13 and has been working ever since. He runs everything himself, but his roommate Chance Hope has been incredibly helpful in promoting his new service! 

He started this business as a way to provide healthy, affordable meals to as many people as possible. Food security and a lack of nutrition is a major issue for many college students. By offering fresh food for as little as $3, his ultimate goal is to be able to expand and serve the community at large in order to make sure everyone is able to get a sustainable amount of food. 

For the soft opening, he is currently just selling a couple of different types of stir fry. He chose to offer stir fry to start with because it provides a perfect combination of rice, vegetables and chicken. 

Clarke says that he highly recommends the sweet chili flavor, as it offers a nice balance of flavors. It looks fairly simple, but with the amount of prep for the chicken, carrots and vegetables, it actually becomes pretty time-consuming, adding up to about 15-30 minutes a batch. Thankfully, he can make about four to six portions at one time.

When speaking of the future goal for his business, Clarke says, “I plan on expanding the menu over time as I am getting more customers and am able to add people to my team. Fried chicken will probably be the first thing I add to the menu, and I’ve discussed offering service for brunch and making things like French toast and eggs.” 

Want to know how much this all costs?: Portion sizes are $3 for a small, $5 for medium, $7 for large and $10 for extra-large. To order, people can contact him either on Facebook Messenger or message fam-deliveries on Snapchat. Also, a big plus he is currently running delivery from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays so order order order and enjoy a nice warm plate of food.