After a long day, it’s nice to unwind and enjoy a delicious meal at a nice restaurant. ROOST is the perfect place to take your friends or significant other if you’re looking for a classy dining experience before the summer ends. I decided to give this restaurant a try with my significant other after shopping at Paseo Nuevo, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. 

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

The exterior of the restaurant is tastefully subtle and the interior is just the same, featuring a robust selection of local and imported wines and artwork from local artists. We were seated immediately and given ample time to look over the menu. ROOST offers dishes featuring seasonal ingredients such as rotisserie-roasted meats and vegetables, fresh salads, seafood and steak. I ordered the tagliatelle, which was a pasta dish consisting of pesto, rotisserie chicken, roasted peppers, arugula and parmesan cheese. My significant other, on the other hand, decided to try the braised pork roulade, which was cooked with apple, onion, fennel, herbs and mustard-braised leeks.

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

I was hesitant to order the tagliatelle dish because I was afraid it was going to be too heavy, but it was actually just right. The arugula gave the dish an earthy, aromatic feel and the rotisserie chicken made the dish really unique because it was extremely flavorful compared to other pasta dishes that I’ve had before. The portion was perfect because it was just the right amount to fill me up, but it didn’t make me feel groggy like I usually do after I eat other pasta dishes. 

Winnie Lam / Daily Nexus

I also tried some of the braised pork roulade, and it actually ended up tasting even better than my dish. The pork was so tender that it felt like it melted in my mouth and the flavor was phenomenal. The flavor from the mustard-braised leeks came through in the vegetables and mashed potatoes, which gave it a nice contrast to the savory flavor of the meat and creamy potatoes. 

Overall, this was a great meal to end my day. The food was exceptional and the ambience of the restaurant was a nice, calming break from the busy shopping center in Paseo Nuevo. I’d definitely come back to try more menu items because they were so simple yet deliciously made.

Winnie Lam
Winnie Lam serves as the 2020-2021 On The Menu Editor. She has an unhealthy obsession with Trader Joe's and she loves all things matcha.