The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department sent out an evacuation notice to residents living in areas below the Sherpa, Whittier and Thomas Fire burn areas at approximately 5 p.m. Monday.

The warning is in response to the encroaching rainstorm and the threat of debris flow from the various burn areas. Residents living in the burn regions are being told to evacuate by 10 a.m. on Tuesday, according to a press release sent out by the county.

Several schools in the area will also be closed.

The Sheriff’s Department warns that in the event of serious debris flow, “people living adjacent to the evacuation order areas, particularly in Montecito, Summerland and Carpinteria, could become stranded if roads become damaged or impassible.”

The City of Santa Barbara will be monitoring vulnerable areas during the rainfall and asks residents to report any storm drain blockages to 805-564-5454 and downed trees to 805-564-5413.

The evacuation notice will extend to Wednesday, as another storm of similar intensity is expected. Santa Barbara County has created a map of specific evacuation areas.

A Red Cross shelter, located at 5679 Hollister Ave., will be open to evacuees beginning 10 a.m. The Humane Society will also take in dogs and cats from those in the evacuation areas.