As Fall Quarter slowly comes to an end, students may start feeling the pressure to do well on projects and exams and forget to eat their meals. According to the New York Times, skipping or eating improper meals can lead to a drastic decrease in metabolism and encourage overeating in a single meal. Thus, it is crucial for college students to eat their meals in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. As college students ourselves who want to encourage good lifestyle habits, the writers for On The Menu have curated this meal guide containing four recipes for meals that are easy to cook. With this, we hope to inspire students to cook more often!

Photo Courtesy of IncredibleEgg.org

Omelette

Ingredients:

4 eggs

⅛ tsp. of salt

2 tbsps.of olive oil  

¼ cup of green onion

⅓ cup of bacon

2 slices of cheese

Directions:

1. Put the 4 eggs and ⅛ teaspoon of salt into a bowl and stir the ingredients with a whisk.
  2. Then heat a pan and add the tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Mix in the green onion and bacon (or other ingredients) and sauté until crispy before placing mixture onto a plate.
  3. Pour in another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add in the whisked eggs. Be sure to tilt the pan to guarantee even spread of the egg.
  4. After the eggs are cooked, put the two slices of cheese and sautéed bacon and onions on the omelette.
  5. Remove it from the pan using a spatula when the cheese is melted and fold it in half on a separate plate.

Photo Courtesy of  TasteofHome.com

Baked Salmon with Green Beans

Ingredients:

1 salmon fillet

1 package of green beans

1-2 slices of lemon

2 tbsps. of chopped parsley

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to approximately 245°F and prepare a baking sheet with tin foil.
  2. Place salmon fillet on baking sheet along with green beans (adding a small amount of salt is recommended).
  3. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until salmon is slightly brown.
  4. Chop and sprinkle the parsley on top to give it a fresh taste. Also remember to serve with lemon wedges for a hint of sour!

Photo Courtesy of TheKitchn.com

Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1 box of elbow macaroni (my recommended shape)

¼ cup of butter

½ tsp. of salt

¼ cup of flour

2 cups of milk

2 cups of shredded cheese (whatever type you like)

Directions:

1. Bring a pot salted water to a boil and put in the desired amount of elbow macaroni you want to cook. When the macaroni is cooked, drain the pot!
  2. Then melt the butter in a saucepan and put in the flour and salt. Slowly pour in the milk and stir until the mixture is slightly creamy and smooth.
  3. Add cheese to the mixture and stir until all the cheese has melted. Then add the elbow macaroni to the pan and stir until pasta is covered in the sauce.

Photo Courtesy of TheTakeout.com

Fried Rice

Ingredients:

2 cups of white rice

4 cups of water

½ cup of green onions

2 eggs

2 tbsps. of olive oil

½  slices of bacon

Soy sauce

Directions:

1. Cook the 2 cups of rice in a rice cooker using the 4 cups of water.
  2. Add the olive oil and scramble the eggs in a pan. Then add the sliced green onions and bacon. Fry until crispy and add small spoonfuls of soy sauce until the taste is slightly salty.  
  3. Add the cooked rice and stir until rice is slightly golden. You can add another ½ tablespoon of olive oil to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the pan.

Overall, cooking may not be everyone’s forte, but it is a very handy skill to pick up in college. Having to study for multiple classes can be overwhelming, and it’s important for students to make sure they eat every meal, so hopefully this meal guide inspires you all to try to cook these four dishes. I hope you all look forward to more meal guides like this one in the near future and wishes you all the best of luck on finals!