A suspected pipe bomb was found in an abandoned backpack turned in to the Isla Vista Foot Patrol Wednesday morning, according to the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office.

It is currently unknown if the suspected bomb is explosive. A bomb squad arrived on scene at approximately 12:20 p.m.

At approximately 11:15 a.m., an Isla Vista Recreation and Park District employee found an abandoned backpack in Anisq’Oyo’ Park and brought it to the Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP), according to Kelly Hoover, Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) spokesperson.

When officers looked inside, they saw what is suspected to be a pipe bomb and evacuated the building. An alert was sent out at 11:51 a.m. asking residents to avoid the 6500 blocks of Trigo Road, Seville Road and Sabado Tarde, as well as walking and bike paths on Ocean Road between Seville and Sabado Tarde.

Residents in houses near the IVFP were first warned about the suspected bomb at approximately 12:05 p.m. They were then asked to evacuate the area at approximately 12:25 p.m.  

Update 2:27 p.m.: The situation regarding the suspected pipe bomb located in front of the Isla Vista Foot Patrol building is all clear, according to SBSO. The object was later determined to be a string of D batteries wrapped in silver duct tape with a cord coming out of the bottom.

Sanya Kamidi
Sanya Kamidi serves as the Deputy News Editor and before that was a Social Media Manager. Loves coffee and will find any excuse to miss class for the Nexus. She can be reached at skamidi@dailynexus.com or @skamidi on Twitter.