A.S. Program Board has begun announcing the lineup for this year’s Extravaganza. Founded in 1979, Extravaganza is held in Harder Stadium and is open exclusively to UCSB students.

Nexus File Photo

From Drake in 2010 to Chance the Rapper in 2014, the free event has hosted a ubiquity of today’s biggest musical acts. Last year, ScHoolboy Q headlined the festival with Thundercat, Tinashe, GRiZ and Twin Peaks performing preceding sets.

This year, Extravaganza will be on Sunday, May 20 at 1:00 p.m.

HEADLINER: Dillon Francis

A.S. Program Board announced the headlining act shortly before 1 p.m. with a riddle that set students out to search the beaches for the name of the performer. The riddle told students to search for the “point on the beach that meets the reef.”

Photo courtesy of A.S. Program Board’s Facebook page.

Program Board announced the full lineup late Wednesday afternoon. Taking the stage before Dillon Francis this Sunday will be Charli XCX, DRAM and Coast Modern.

CHARLI XCX

Taking on the teen pop world at full capacity, singer songwriter Charli XCX made her name known back in 2014 on Iggy Azalea collaboration, “Fancy”, that dominated as a summer chart-topping hit. Since then, Charli XCX has continued to use her sassy aesthetic in order to depart from predictable poppy song distribution and add projects such as Number 1 Angel and Pop 2 to her discography. Having joined forces with artists like cupcaKKe, MØ and Tove Lo, Charli XCX continues to set the tone for contemporary house pop music.

DRAM

DRAM, whose name announces he “Does Real Ass Music,” will be the third act at Extravaganza this year. You might know the American-German rapper from “Broccoli,” featuring Lil Yachty.

His first album Big Baby DRAM dropped in 2016 and he’s been featured on tracks alongside Bay Area legends E-40 and Nef the Pharaoh, the Gorillaz, Juicy J and plenty others.

COAST MODERN

Serving pop-heavy, groovy ballads, Coast Modern take on the electronic scene through integrating synth-speckled instrumentals to create energetic tracks. Having taken on live performances on tours alongside renowned indie artist such as BØRNS and The Temper Trap, Coast Modern have displayed their electro-pop sounds to listeners across the country. On their self-titled project they take a jab at the indie pop genre and demonstrate their joyous presence in the music scene.

DILLON FRANCIS

Platinum selling DJ and producer, Dillon Francis, will be headlining Extravaganza this year. Francis is most famously known for his songs “Coming Over” featuring Kygo, among, “Get Low,” “Anywhere,” and his new single “Machika”. Francis’ earlier sound incorporated a fusion of House music and Reggaeton, attracting loyal listeners. His current music shows promise for UCSB’s typically uproarious crowd–albeit the fact that is not as popular among Isla Vistans as it is among listeners of KIIS FM and inhabitants of Mexico City.

Update: A previous version of this article did not report the complete list of last year’s Extravaganza performers. GRiZ was also one of the acts that performed last year.

William Emmons
Will is an Artsweek Editor. In his free time he enjoys listening to Death Grips and having heated discussions about the legitimacy of astrology.
Sanya Kamidi
Sanya Kamidi serves as the Deputy News Editor and before that was a Social Media Manager. Loves coffee and will find any excuse to miss class for the Nexus. She can be reached at skamidi@dailynexus.com or @skamidi on Twitter.
Melody Pezeshkian
Melody Pezeshkian first reported for News where she covered protests, rallies, and campus productions. She now writes for Artsweek and loves covering niche venues, local concerts, and interviewing independent music companies.