Sierra Deak / Daily Nexus

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU

Alternative rock band The Mallards returns to “the pond” to play a Star Wars-themed show on Friday, May 4. Attendees are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite Star Wars character. Indie rock band Frission will be opening the show at 9 p.m., with The Mallards playing from 10:30 p.m. to 12 a.m. at 6508 Del Playa Drive.

BREWERY BEATS

Ventura-based band Noble Grizwald will be playing at Rincon Brewery in Isla Vista on Saturday for the first time. The self-described funk/folk/bluegrass/rock band brings an eclectic, upbeat, surf-rock sound to their shows and their blend of genres guarantees variety in every song. Stop by the Rincon Brewery anywhere between 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to catch the band laying down some fun tracks.

HIIT

Fitness professional Rhian Jacques will be holding High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on Monday at 2 p.m. at the Pardall Center in I.V. The classes run a high-energy workout and typically involve a combination of aerobics and body weight exercises for toning. For example, participants will do squats, push-ups, sit-ups, planks, mountain climbers, tricep dips and burpees. At the end of the workout, participants will get a free Blenders smoothie! Everyone is welcome to attend. Pardall Center is located at 6550 Pardall Road.

DROP THE MIC

UC Santa Barbara’s Poets’ Club will be holding an open mic at Coffee Collaborative on Thursday night, located at 6560 Pardall Road. Musicians, comedians, spoken word artists, jugglers and more are all welcome to come and perform. This is the group’s first open mic of the quarter. The open mic will last from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

BENEFIT SHOW

Sigma Phi Epsilon is holding their annual benefit show on Friday at 795 Embarcadero del Norte. Four different musical artists of various genres will be performing including Stranger Than Fiction, I.V.-based band The Anti-Sheist, West Swell hailing from South Bay of Los Angeles and DJ Microsoft Paint ‘98. Tickets will be $10. Participants can Venmo @UCSB-SigEp. The lineup will begin at 7:45 p.m. with Stranger than Fiction and will continue until 11:59 p.m. All proceeds will go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

BREAK A SWEAT

Santa Barbara Krav Maga will be holding cardio and self-defense classes at the A.S. Pardall Center, located at 6550 Pardall Rd. Classes will include striking and kicking drills, circuit training, strength training and resistance work. Everyone is welcome and free Blenders will be provided to all the participants. All levels are welcome. Classes will be held every Tuesday at 5 p.m. until June 12.

MY CUP OF TEA

On Friday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., the Isla Vista Food Cooperative will be hosting a Japanese Tea Workshop. Bring your friends and learn about how to prepare and serve the Co-Op’s selection of Japanese Green Tea. This is a fun and relaxing way to end a stressful week full of studying for midterms. The workshop will be located on the patio of the Co-Op.

A version of this article appeared on pg. 3 of the May 3, 2018 issue of the Daily Nexus.