Sierra Deak / Daily Nexus

Sunset and S’mores

Who doesn’t love s’mores? Head on down to the beach and join HYFIE Events in remembering those who have left an impact on our lives. There will be food vendors and free s’mores. The event is free and will run from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday evening. The exact location will be updated closer to the event.

Shabbat

Celebrate your return to UCSB with a four-course Shabbat meal Friday Jan. 12 courtesy of Chabad UCSB, which is located at 779 Camino Pescadero. The dinner begins at 6:30 p.m.

Dayger

Have you missed dayging over winter break? You’re in luck! This Saturday, UCSB DJ Club will be partnering with HYFIE Events to host a day full of music, running from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The lineup includes Patrick Wu, HellaLoud, Doctor Clarke, Space Race and a possible special guest. Space Race hails from Los Angeles and is closing out the show on Saturday. He has also performed at the Electric Forest music festival. The address will be released on their Facebook event page on Saturday. Wristbands are $5 at the door until drinks run out.

Tea and Chocolate

For all of the tea lovers out there, the I.V. Food Co-op is hosting a tea and chocolate tasting on Sunday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The Co-op has over 40 varieties of bulk teas; selling tea in bulk is more environmentally friendly, and it also allows the to Co-op to provide high quality tea for a lower price. Daanish, the Bulk Tea & Spice Curator, will be pairing Tea Room chocolate with various teas.

MEATLESS SUNDAY
A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Cafe). Food Not Bombs is a large organization that spans the country and is a form of “franchise activism.” They believe that corporate and government priorities are skewed and allow hunger despite the abundance of food and food waste. Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

Meditation

For those interested in mindfulness and meditation, St. Michael’s Church will be hosting a Mindfulness and Compassion Meditation this Monday at 7 p.m. This  event is regularly held on Mondays and includes a short dharma talk and guided meditation. St. Michael’s Church is located at 6586 Picasso Road.