KIDS’ MEALS
The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County hosts its monthly food distribution Thursday at Isla Vista Elementary School from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The event is part of the Healthy School Pantry Program, which works to address food insecurity amongst children and families in the community.

SOUNDS AND SLICES
Local bands The Real Savage Henry and Mellow Grass will be performing at 9 p.m. Friday at Woodstock’s Pizza in I.V. Most of the band members for Savage Henry are fourth-year students at UCSB, meaning that they might not be playing in I.V. for much longer.

FROLIC IN THE PARK
Isla Vista’s annual spring festival “Chilla Vista” is set to hit the streets this weekend beginning at noon Saturday in People’s Park. Hosted by the I.V. Community Relations Committee, the event will include games with prizes, henna, caricature drawings, free shirts, interactive art and a kid’s corner. There will be performances from local bands like The Real Savage Henry and Mellow Grass. Chilla Vista is free and open to the public.

NIGHTLIGHTS
After Chilla Vista, there will be a light carnival called “Lite the Nite” starting at 5 p.m. Saturday in People’s Park. Organizers from Blunite, a local project founded to commemorate the May 23, 2014 shooting, have planned LED carnival games with LED prizes, LED ping pong and 12-person foosball. There will also be obstacle courses, bounce houses and glow face painting. From 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., the following bands and DJs will be playing one-hour sets in order of appearance: Crimes New Roman, Recreation, Feral Vida, NickySlaps (with a special guest), Pusherr and Doctor Clark B2B (with Dantian).

MEATLESS SUNDAY
A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Café). Food Not Bombs is a large organization that spans the country and is a form of “franchise activism.” They believe that corporate and government priorities are skewed and allow hunger despite the abundance of food waste. Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

SOW AND REAP
The Isla Vista Food Cooperative is hosting a gardening workshop noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday on the Co-op patio. The workshop will be led by Oscar Carmona of Healing Grounds Nursery in Goleta.

SOUNDS OF SUCCESS
A.S. Program Board will be hosting a panel discussion called “Behind the Music!” about the rise of electronic music and its influence on today’s music artists and producers. Panelists include Gazzo, Loud Luxury, Naomi Wild and Niko The Kid. The event takes place Wednesday at Embarcadero Hall.

A version of this story appeared on p. 3 of the Thursday, May 4, 2017 edition of the Daily Nexus.