Kevin Son / Daily Nexus
- Did you wait too long to eat that last bagel? Un-stale that perfect ring of dough by wrapping it in a damp paper towel and nuking it in the microwave for a half-minute to revive it into its former glory.
- Excuse my exaggeration, but nothing is worse than a watered-down iced coffee. To avoid this problem, freeze your coffee into delectable coffee cubes to keep your beverage cool.
- If you’re sautéing potatoes in a hurry, use creamer potatoes; they cook exceptionally fast, and, as their name suggests, they have a rich, creamy texture perfect for a quick side dish for any meal. If you don’t have these on hand, just microwave pre-chopped taters in a bowl with a splash of water for a minute or two to soften them up.
- Here are few canned goods you should always keep in your pantry: cream of mushroom, vegetable soup, corn and beans. You can save yourself a few hungry nights by combining any of these ingredients with the scraps you found in your kitchen to create a satisfying meal.
- If you have a cast iron skillet in need of cleaning, look no further for a solution. Simply use salt to scrub away any impurities, use a minimal amount of water to wash away the salt, oil the pan and stick it in the oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. The less water you use, the less likely you will remove the nonstick coating of your pan.
- Shake and bake with butter and a grate! In other words, if a baking recipe requires you to use frozen butter, try grating the butter to make it easier to blend into the flour mixture for evenly distributed buttery goodness.
- Did your housemate use your thermos and leave it sitting at the bottom of your mountain of dishes? If you need a lid asap, grab some plastic wrap and a straw and essentially assemble a makeshift boba lid.
- To keep your veggies extra fresh, you’ll need two things: sealable plastic containers and dry paper towels. Rinse your veggies, then begin the storage process. Layer paper towels and veggies alternately to create an unappetizing casserole. The veggies will stay crisp and already rinsed for easy use.
- Unscented floss makes a great precision knife for any soft food, be it mozzarella cheese, cake or even boiled eggs. The possibilities are endless.