SPECIAL MEETING
There is a special meeting of the Isla Vista Recreation and Park District’s Adhoc Grants Committee at 8 a.m. at the IVRPD District offices at 961 Embarcadero Del Mar. The meeting is to determine what grant recommendations the Committee will present to the full Board of Directors.

SPACED OUT
Santa Barbara residents will be able to see the International Space Station (ISS) pass over the sky from Jan. 25 to the end of the month. The recent storms have made the skies clear and improved visibility. The ISS will pass by the ocean horizon, Mars, Venus and various other interstellar sights. The ISS will not be visible again until mid-February.

SILVER LININGS
Acacia Counseling & Wellness is offering a free screening of “Silver Linings Playbook” on Friday night from 7:15 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. at 948 Embarcadero Del Norte. Light refreshments will be provided and a short discussion will follow the movie.

SAVAGE SATURDAY
Isla Vista band The Real Savage Henry and musician Quincy Bones will be performing at 6692 Trigo Road from 8 p.m. to midnight on Saturday. To celebrate their newest album, Savage Henry will be raffling off five Savage CDs with custom album art made by the band. Raffle tickets will be $1 each.

BAIL-ANDO
The Queer Student Union and Student Activist Network are co-hosting a social on Saturday from 9 p.m. to midnight at 777 Camino Pescadero. There is a suggested $3 donation at the door that will go toward a community bail fund.

FREE FUNNIES
In Embarcadero Hall on Saturday night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Laughology will be offering a free comedy show with professional comedians, hosted by Joe Dosch. There will be sets by Jay Larson and Rory Scovel.

CUCKOO FOR CACAO
Luke Buchanan, an Isla Vista resident, will offer free chocolate samples straight from Guatemala on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Yoga Isla Vista. On a Facebook event page, Buchanan said he bought a large quantity of raw chocolate from Guatemala for his birthday. The gathering will offer hot cups of chocolate and music to celebrate the plant that is sacred to Mayan cultures.
For more, see dailynexus.com.

VEGGIN’ OUT
The local organization “Food Not Bombs” will be serving free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (across from Bagel Café). Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. The dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

NAMASTE HERE
The Isla Vista Food Co-op is hosting a “Beach Brunch Yoga” session on Sunday morning, a free class led by Yoga Isla Vista with free brunch afterward. Organizers ask that participants first meet on the Co-op patio (6575 Seville Rd.) at 10:45 a.m. and then walk over to a nearby park. Those interested must bring a mat or towel and sign an event waiver. Free brunch is provided only for those who participate in the yoga session.

FREE FOOD
As part of its Gaucho Food Program, the Isla Vista Tenants Union and the I.V. Food Co-op will be tabling outside the Pardall Center on Wednesday from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. to give away free food to UCSB students. This food giveaway is regularly held every Wednesday.

A version of this story appeared on p. 3 of the Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017 edition of the Daily Nexus.