Nexus File Photo

The meeting to discuss the proposed 10 p.m. noise ordinance on Friday and Saturday nights will take place tonight at 6 p.m. in the I.V. Clinic building. Nexus file photo

A meeting to discuss the future of the Isla Vista Community Center will be held at 5 p.m. tonight at the I.V. Clinic building. Organizers are also planning to host a “brainstorming session” next week about the community center which will take place the first weekend of October.

There will be another meeting at 6 p.m. tonight in the I.V. Clinic building to discuss a proposed noise ordinance change for Isla Vista. The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office proposed in August that the start of quiet hours be moved earlier from midnight to 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. At the meeting, students and Isla Vista residents will be able to voice concerns to officers regarding matters such as enforcement of the ordinance.

The Isla Vista Community Relations Committee (IVCRC) will host its annual Pardall Carnival on Saturday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. The carnival will feature tables from many of the student groups and local organizations involved on campus and in Isla Vista. IVCRC will have a Ferris wheel on Pardall Road as well as live music from local bands. The Associated Students (A.S.) Food Bank will provide free food for attendees.

A local group called Food Not Bombs will serve free vegan food at 5 p.m. Sunday in Little Acorn Park (next to Bagel Cafe). Those interested in cooking can email organizers at foodnotbombsislavista@gmail.com. This dinner is regularly held every Sunday.

UCSB’s Division of Student Affairs will be hosting an evening of spoken word by artist Sunni Patterson on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at the St. George Family Youth Center (889 Camino Del Sur). The performance is part of the “Resilient Love” series that “asks how we can respond ethically and honorably to hate and violence.”

Sunni Patterson will perform for another evening of spoken word on Wednesday, Oct. 5, alongside David Kyuman Kim and George Lipsitz at the Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall. This event is again part of the “Resilient Love” series.

Community volunteers are currently working to register 13,000 voters in Isla Vista and at UCSB. In years past, UCSB has been one of the top universities in terms of registering voters, registering as many as 11,000 voters. This year, volunteers hope to set a new record of 13,000 registered voters for the November election. The last day to register is Oct. 24.

The next Isla Vista Community Network meeting will be held Thursday, Oct.13, at the I.V. Clinic building. The meeting will run from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m., and lunch will be provided. Stakeholders involved in I.V. — heads of local nonprofit organizations, volunteers, long-term residents, students, county representatives and Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers — will update one another on the status of their respective groups as they relate to the community. I.V. Community Network meetings are regularly held on the second Thursday of every month.

The Nexus, KCSB and The Bottom Line will co-host a debate between Bruce Porter and Joan Hartmann, the candidates for Third District County Supervisor. The debate will be Thursday, Oct. 13 at I.V. Theater starting at 6:30 p.m.

Vive El Arte SB is hosting a “Free Concert for the Family” at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 21, at Isla Vista Elementary School (6875 El Colegio Rd.). Mexico-City-based traditional band Yolotecuani sones de Guerrero will be performing at the event.

A version of this story appeared on p.4 of the Thursday, September 29, 2016 print edition of the Daily Nexus.