tumblr_inline_n94ehvrgcc1qjodxz

courtesy of sororitysugar.tumblr.com

Imagine a room full of 100+ women preparing for the mass arrival of potential new sorority members and then executing their results, all over the span of two weeks. Unbelievably long 13-hour days become essential to the growth and betterment of each sorority’s prospective chapters. These two weeks are stressful, tiring and some may even say pain inducing. Even worse, they must take place without the comfort of social media. Facebook? Deactivated. Twitter? Deactivated. Instagram? Ok, yes, we get to keep it — but we must 1) go on private, 2) remove all greek letters and references and 3) not like, comment or post any pictures. Do you realize how awful it is to scroll through your feed and not even be able to like someone’s cute, carefully crafted Instagram post? It’s comparable to the 7th circle of hell. Here is a journal of my experience.

Day 0: Must delete all social media by midnight. Trying to slide into every DM to let all my people know about these cruel circumstances. Last Instagram picture has been posted, last tweet is que’d up and ready to be tweeted at 11:58 p.m.

Day 1: Feeling refreshed and renewed. Have only attempted opening Facebook three times.

Day 3: Have re-activated Facebook accidentally through Spotify. The whole chapter has been fined for my negligence, and my Spotify privileges have been revoked.

Day 4: Have liked and quickly unliked a total of 17 pictures. In accordance, have moved Instagram privileges solely to the computer so as to not tempt my liking habits.

Day 6: Took cute pictures with my sorority sistas. Dying to post them somewhere. Literally anywhere. Possibly on the brink of a nervous breakdown.

Day 7: Polish week is almost over — we’re halfway there! Only that much closer to posting every single damn picture I’ve taken so far. Oh, and meeting our new sisters, that too.

Day 9: Face is permanently frozen on a smile. Have talked solely about high school and family vacations for the last 48 hours. The little sleep I get is stolen by nightmares of ill-written Facebook comments by embarrassing relatives.

Day 10: Surviving but hanging on by a thread. Have logged into my mom’s Facebook six times.

Day 12: Now regularly checking u-mail and LinkedIn. Hit a girl up if you know what’s good.

Day 13: Can’t sleep. It feels like Christmas.

Day 14: WE MADE IT BETCHES. WE HAVE A DOPE NEW PLEDGE CLASS AND NOW I’M GOING TO SPAM ALL OF YOUR FEEDS WITH A SELECT FEW OF THE EDITED AND WELL-CAPTIONED 600 PICTURES I’VE TAKEN. YA GURL IS BACK!!

Might go abroad next fall to avoid ever having to do this again.

Peace, love and happy recruitment.

~ XOXO Sorority Sally