Kelsey Ferrara / Daily Nexus

Kelsey Ferrara / Daily Nexus

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has finally made its way to California, opening its gates April 7 at Universal Studios Hollywood. This has allowed fans of all ages to explore the fantastical world of Harry Potter made famous by J.K. Rowling. In honor of this, we cracked open our potion books and uncovered a few classic recipes from the wizarding world. These recipes will put a finishing touch on any “Harry Potter” themed party and can make the magic of a movie marathon come to life.

Polyjuice Potion
After sneaking into Snape’s office, we have finally discovered the secret recipe for polyjuice potion! Now you can make this mysterious brew in your very own cauldrons at home. While the original recipe took Harry and his friends a month to finish, our adaptation will only take you about 15 minutes. This recipe is for more advanced potion students, as it requires several different ingredients that may have to be stolen from Snape’s office.
The potion is murky green in color with a texture similar to orange juice. Your polyjuice potion will have a slightly sweet and fruity taste. It also has a refreshing and fizzy flavor that reminds one of the bubbling cauldrons in the potions room.

Ingredients
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup Sprite
1 cup water
2 bags ginger tea
2 tsp honey
4 drops blue food coloring
2 canned peaches (sliced)

Directions
Steep 2 bags of ginger tea in hot water for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tsp. of honey and mix gently. Pour the tea and honey mixture, 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 peach slices into a blender and mix until everything is mixed into juice. Pour this into a new jar and add 1/4 cup Sprite. Your potion should look similar to orange juice, so add in 4 drops of blue food coloring to create a green, murky effect. Enjoy and make sure Snape doesn’t find out!

Kelsey Ferrara / Daily Nexus

Kelsey Ferrara / Daily Nexus

Butterbeer
A Harry Potter party wouldn’t be complete without this magical classic! Instead of making the long journey to Hogsmeade, you can make this treat yourself. This iconic drink only requires four ingredients, making it easy to concoct and easy on your budget. All of the ingredients can be found in Diagon Alley or your local muggle grocery store. It takes under 10 minutes to make, meaning that you will have plenty of time to make a quick batch before rushing off to quidditch practice.
The end result is a frothy, sweet masterpiece that is topped with a thick foam. It is reminiscent of childhood root beer floats, but is much creamier and tastes faintly of candy and butterscotch. The sweet, bubbly flavor will leave you feeling nostalgic and ready for a “Harry Potter” movie marathon.

Ingredients
2 tsp. butter
1/4 cup butterscotch
1/2 cup cream soda
1 scoop vanilla ice cream

Directions
Pour 1/4 cup of butterscotch and 2 tsp. of butter into a cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until evenly distributed, then add 1/2 cup of cream soda and mix. Make sure the butterscotch is not stuck to the bottom of the glass. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a magical treat.