Krystal Leong / Daily Nexus

Krystal Leong / Daily Nexus

Carnivals are always fun due to the lively atmosphere of all the different activities going on. However, there were only two words I needed to hear to reel me into checking out the Second Annual Carnival After Dark: free food. Of course, it is one of the best parts of carnivals and one of my personal favorite things. The Second Annual Carnival After Dark was hosted this past Friday at The Hub by After Dark UCSB and Life of the Party. Although far from healthy, the greasy, fried and sweet treats characteristic of carnivals are always worth it.

As soon as I entered, I could smell the salty and distinct aroma of the popcorn, making my mouth water. The first thing my housemate and I did once we got there was scout out where the all the food was. First, we made our way to the popcorn machine. Every bite was a bit of flavorful and salty goodness, which made it easy to finish off my bag very quickly. I couldn’t help but go back for seconds later on. The longest line was for the cotton candy. Considering the last time I’d had cotton candy, which was quite a long time ago, I waited in line with much anticipation and excitement. I probably had the biggest smile on my face when the guy handed me my stick of delicious fluff. As always, the cotton candy was sweet and melted in my mouth. Along with these two classic treats, the carnival provided Woodstock’s Pizza as well as a variety of other snacks including veggie trays, chips and goldfish. There were also tables where students could play games and win candy or other prizes.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience. As someone who loves carnivals and can never turn down free food, this was the perfect event for me. The popcorn and cotton candy were both satisfying and delicious. It was a great opportunity to get to eat some foods I wouldn’t normally get to have, since cotton candy isn’t exactly the average snack. The typical carnival treats helped to make the event more authentic and added to the atmosphere. Not only did eating those treats make my stomach happy, but it brought to mind happy memories of previous carnivals I’ve been to and made me nostalgic, longing for the county fair that I go to every summer back home.