Marisa Ratchford / Daily Nexus

Marisa Ratchford / Daily Nexus

Humans are often creatures of habit. We fall into the same routines in almost everything we do: our fashion choices, movie and music preferences, friend circles and, to no one’s surprise, our food choices. This recipe is a tribute to me breaking my hungry habit of eating only Italian, Mexican and American comfort food — things my parents served me at home — and embracing something more exotic to my tastes. So here’s to me saying that it is important for you to branch out of your comfort zone when it comes to your culinary experiences, because there are so many unique and beautiful things about the foods around the world. You never know just where on the map you may find your next favorite food.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
⅓ cup red curry paste
½ small cauliflower, chopped into small florets
1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
5 oz frozen spinach, thawed
Cooked rice or warm naan bread

Steps:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and potatoes and cook for roughly 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the curry paste. Stir in completely and cook for about a minute to let spices cook in.
2. Add cauliflower and coat in curry paste. Then add the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender.
3. Stir in spinach and heat for another few minutes until spinach is hot. Serve with the rice or warm Naan.
Adapted from The Hungry Student Vegetarian Cookbook

The recipe was delicious! I had never had curry before and wow, I am so glad I did. I had never before experienced spice utilized in that way. It was a unique and comforting experience. Next time I make this recipe I will probably crank up the heat with my curry paste choice. I also plan to incorporate more curry into other recipes I enjoy!