Marisa Ratchford/Daily Nexus

Marisa Ratchford/Daily Nexus

I don’t know about anyone else, but finals have already started to make me a little crazy. Spring is just around the corner, the days are warmer and it takes every inch of willpower I have to hit the books and go to class instead of lounging by the waves and soaking up the sunrays. The only way I can get through these next few weeks is by taking little breaks and enjoying the emerging spring for those brief moments I allow myself. Of course, scheduling doesn’t always make it plausible to go soak up the sun, so I have to get creative with my springtime activities. Often times, I will watch a lighthearted movie or paint my toes a bright cheery color; other times I will whip up something in the kitchen that just sings spring, like a deliciously sweet and light berry loaf cake. It is a really simple recipe that doesn’t require much prep and leaves you plenty of time to do a few errands or read up on some articles before lecture while it bakes and sets. Not to mention it is friendly on the budget and can be saved for other days as a quick pick-me-up in between study sessions.

Ingredients:
1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar and a little extra for dusting
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup fresh-frozen blueberries, defrosted
1/4 cup fresh-frozen raspberries, defrosted
Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 loaf pan with wax or parchment paper, then grease the paper as well.
In a small bowl beat together the butter, egg and milk. Then, in a larger bowl, mix the flour and baking soda with a fork to make sure it is light and airy, then add the sugar and almost all of the oats into the mixture as well.
Put almost all the berries into the wet mixture, then mix the wet and dry ingredients together until they have just blended. Your dough should have turned a light purple from the frozen berries’ juices.
Place the batter into the pan and level out. Top with the leftover oats and berries. Bake in a pre-heated oven of 350° for roughly 50-60 minutes until the cake is risen and firm. Let the loaf cool, then transfer to a wire rack if you possess one, or an elevated, grated surface if you do not.
Sprinkle with extra sugar and serve warm with a crisp glass of lemonade.
The bread is light and airy with subtle hints of fruit. The outer layer has a lovely, firm texture without feeling too hard. The fun purple color gives the bread a whimsical feel and the bites of the berries are a succulent surprise. It pairs beautifully with the lemonade, filling out its more tangy elements in contrast to the sweet berries. You can share this recipe with your friends and loved ones, or impress guests by serving it for a lovely brunch. Either way, this bread is meant to be shared and to accompany those blissful feelings of warmer weather.