County Supervisor Doreen Farr wants to
facilitate communication with I.V. residents

Nexus File Photo

Nexus File Photo

Third District County Supervisor Doreen Farr will host her monthly Sidewalk Office Hours Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Coffee Collaborative in Isla Vista.

The informal meeting gives locals an opportunity to discuss I.V. issues with Farr. In previous office hours, Farr has discussed issues such as I.V. Self Governance and county services with typically small groups of attendees.

Farr said she always welcomes the opportunity to speak with I.V. community members, and holding Sidewalk Office Hours is one way to make county-level representation “more easily accessible.”

“I also try to facilitate additional communication between I.V. residents and other County departments that provide services in I.V. so people can get their questions answered and any problems resolved expediently,” Farr said.

Farr said she expects to discuss the remodeling of the I.V. Clinic and I.V. Community Center buildings. She also said she is open to discussing “whatever issues any student wants to talk about.”

Associated Students External Vice President of Local Affairs Paola Dela Cruz, who worked with Farr on the I.V. Community Center and the I.V. Sobering Center projects, said Farr has been “instrumental” in representing I.V.’s “unique needs” on the Board of Supervisors.

“I have attended her previous office hours to provide her with updates on my office projects and to present her with community concerns,” Dela Cruz said.

UCSB professor of economics Lanny Ebenstein attended last month’s office hours and discussed support for the I.V. Community Center. Ebenstein said Farr is “extremely interested” in understanding the concerns of community members.

“She welcomes the opportunity to meet with UCSB students and others who live in I.V.,” Ebenstein said in an email.

A version of this story appeared on p. 6 of the Thursday, Nov. 12, issue of the Daily Nexus.