Lianna Nakashima/Daily Nexus

Lianna Nakashima/Daily Nexus

The Sunday of Halloween weekend, my aunt and uncle graciously invited me to their new home for a home-cooked dinner. They just so happen to be UCSB alumni. As I am a hopeless romantic, the way UCSB brought them together gives me even more reason to love this beautiful campus. My Uncle Greg worked at De La Guerra (DLG) all four years of his college career, and there he met my Aunt Paula during what was his second year and her first year. From DLG, they started to date, which led to living together, getting married, having three wonderful children and now moving back to the beautiful place where it all began: Santa Barbara.
UCSB has become a family legacy. My younger uncle, Dan, and my cousin, Jeff, both attended in the past and now, in the present, I also attend. I am fortunate enough to have my aunt and uncle in close proximity to provide me with support, love, home-cooked meals and even free laundry.
As Thanksgiving and other holidays are rapidly approaching, I am reminded of the importance of my beloved friends and family that I miss dearly. After relentlessly thinking of a new article topic for this week, I realized it would be perfect to talk about the home-cooked meal they made me when I was missing my friends and family back home. The meal my aunt and uncle cooked for me was a perfect mix of fall flavors, aromatic spices and crunchy sweet salad to top off the meal. I am fortunate to have family close by, but if you do not, here is a recipe that can make you feel like you do.
Note: Nothing is exact.
Follow your own chef instincts.

Lianna Nakashima/Daily Nexus

Lianna Nakashima/Daily Nexus

Fall Roasted Vegetables
● 3 large carrots
● 1 squash
● 2 small sweet potatoes
● Salt and pepper to taste
● 2 tbsp. olive oil
● 2 tbsp. honey

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the vegetables into chunks and put them into a roasting pan. Season with pepper and salt.
3. Add equal amounts of olive oil and honey.
4. Put vegetables in oven for an hour or until tender, stirring occasionally to ensure an even cook.

Oregano Lime Tilapia
● Sprinkle of salt and pepper
● 1 lb of tilapia
● 1 tbsp. oregano
● Drizzle of olive oil

1. Put tilapia on top of foil without covering the fish. Drizzle with olive oil to keep the seasoning from falling off. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with oregano evenly.
2. Grill or bake until opaque.

Apple Feta Pomegranate Fall Romaine Salad
● 1 head of romaine
● 2 tbsp. of white pomegranate
● ¼ cup of feta cheese
● 1 small apple, specifically Braeburn
● Balsamic vinaigrette as desired (my aunt Paula suggests Paul Newman’s Own Lite Balsamic)

1. Wash and cut romaine if needed.
2. Toss in white pomegranate and feta cheese.
3. Cut apple in slices and place in the bowl.
4. Toss in vinaigrette as desired.