Courtesy of rollingstone.com

Courtesy of rollingstone.com

Released in 2013, “Take Me to Church” was then an up-and-coming ballad written and sung by Irish recording artist under the name of Hozier. Little did he know, the record became a smash hit across the country, landing the singer his first Grammy nomination for Song of the Year. The commercially successful record reached top of the charts on top 40 radio stations in countries in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, etc.

Hozier, whose real name is Andrew Hozier-Byrne, was born in Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland. He began studying music in college, went on to sing in a travelling chorale ensemble, and finally got his big break by recoding demos for the studio heads at Universal Music. He then released his first EP with the same title of his now-famous record, with that title track and four more songs. The EP became a sensation on the Internet, going viral on YouTube and music streaming sites such as SoundCloud.

On Sept. 14, 2014, Hozier released the full studio album, eponymously titled, to massive critical and commercial success. Singles from the album beside the most well-known song include “Work Song” and “Someone New,” which speaks of aspirations and failed relationships. The main allure behind Hozier’s record is not only that it is relatable (he could be the new male version of Taylor Swift. Goodbye, John Mayer), but it is also honest and real to human emotions.

Lucky enough for Hozier fans in 805 areas and surrounding counties, the songwriter is coming to the Santa Barbara Bowl for a special concert performance on his worldwide tour. Fans will be treated to Hozier-Byrne’s raspy yet soulful voice under the stars. Be ready to sing some lyrics, feel raw emotions and maybe shed a few tears. Friends and lovers, this is the show that you don’t want to miss! Catch the religious experience this Sunday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. at the famous Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjiKRfKpPI